British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-03-12, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Default Critique: North Shore New Brunswick...

Yet again, a tunic worth some comment...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-No...item2c63749ea7
Old 03-03-12, 05:24 AM

Default BD Tunic

Lots of nice badges on a BD Tunic. Certainly not a uniform that was worn on D-Day.
Old 03-03-12, 10:50 AM

"The wearer actually had the shoulder strap modified to fit a cap under better."???? really.....
and the"Mars" badge makes the whole thing suspicious of this seller.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 03-03-12, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mars badge overseas? GS badge, overseas? Service chevrons, showing first year of war service, but then the MARS and GS badges?
Old 03-03-12, 01:23 PM

Default Sadly

The sad point is that someone will buy this BD Tunic and figure they have an authentic uniform.
Old 03-03-12, 01:27 PM

How is this a D Day tunic if it it dated November 1944?
Old 03-03-12, 02:03 PM

I see it has been withdrawn from sale....Well done the questionnaires

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 03-03-12, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Small victories, but it may be a pyrrhic victory. This has been discussed before, but by pointing out the problems with tunics, are we simply giving a free education? And helping unscrupulous individuals perfect their craft?
Old 03-03-12, 03:10 PM

I love the November 44 date on the DDAY tunic.... There has also been multiple tunics listed with the GS badge claiming the tunics seen action overseas......

Last edited by Roberto T; 03-03-12 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 03:10 PM

Default Critiques

I feel it is a double edged sword.

First of all these assesments do provide a free education and help the unscrupulous individuals perfect their craft. For the most part the basic information is out there for everyone to read, either in print form or on the internet but the instant assessments and up-to-date critiques certainly add more detail. So is it the responsibility for those with the knowledge to provide the information?

Secondly there is a tsunami of ill-informed 'collectors' out there with way too much money to spend on stuff they know absolutely nothing about. I keep harping that the militaria industry (it ceased being a hobby years ago) is comprised of three parts, knowledge with experience, money and luck. Many of these 'collectors' appear base their collecting models on money and luck and figure they get get all of their free knowledge from the internet. Unfortunately it is the knowledge and experience that is the hard work and something that cannot be instantly gleaned by surfing the web.

With loads of people more than willing to spend their money on things they know nothing about, the less-than-honest vendors will only prosper.
Old 03-03-12, 03:11 PM

He did answer me back saying he would correct it. Be interesting to see what it is. It was pretty cut and dried that it wasnt a DDay and there is no way he can "learn" from this.
Old 03-03-12, 03:23 PM

I am surprised you received a response back. There has been a large number of BDs sold by this vendor almost all have raised flags with me and make big claims in their descriptions.
Old 03-03-12, 04:08 PM

Default Education in Small Bites

The vendor must of at least 'learned' now to at least check the dates inside the tunics he intends to peddle.
Old 03-03-12, 06:31 PM

Hi Bill,

Great question "are we simply giving a free education?"

In my opinion yes we are, and as Ed mentions it is a "double edged sword."

So my 2 cents:

The scourge of "less-than-honest vendors" has been with collectors as long as our hobby has been around. Those trying to prosper financially by deceiving whether it is counterfeiting Militaria, Artwork or Currency will continue to do so because as Ed so rightly points out... it is an industry. Where there is an industry (market) for anything...you will always find those whose ethical values are questionable.

Regardless of the risk of providing deceivers with information to better their deceptions, I believe our dissemination of information on this Forum (and in books) outweighs that risk as it provides a far greater service by way of knowledge transfer to legitimate hobbyist’s in our collecting/preservation fraternity. As such I believe we should continue and not change our behaviour to share on-line with each other in spite of the risk. Add to that is my recommendation to join clubs such as CSMMI (and others) where face-to-face conversations and access to well written/researched journals/articles can be incredibly enlightening.

For those who do not want to do the “hard work” (research) and want to “spend their money on things they know nothing about” I say let them pay the price of their ignorance/laziness. These buyers in my opinion are like those students who read the “Coles Notes” rather than the actual book...they take the quick and easy way out and are not exposed to the fulsomeness of the experience. In the end, as the old Latin law doctrine states “Caveat Emptor”; it is the purchaser’s responsibility to determine the merits of their purchase by examining as many aspects as possible (i.e.: provenance/materials) to determine authenticity.

To comment on the original intent of this thread...the BD is suspect for all the above noted posts. Additionally it is missing the Canada title, and if the F-I03 is supposed to represent a service number it is incredibly low and further I would expect to see a G prefix for New Brunswick rather than an F prefix for Nova Scotia.

Mike Kennelly
Old 04-03-12, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Re-listed...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-No...item2c63836854
The problems were not addressed.