British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-12-21, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Bearing in mind the Army is smaller than ever I am dubious as to where they are going to draw the 'higher quality' Rangers from? Can you really fill the selection courses for Para, Cdo, SAS, SRR, etc and also fill these 4 battalions with trained soldiers?
This not a Special Forces Unit per-say, what they the MOD have done is: Disband after only 16 years of service, 1 SCOTS (Royal Scots Borderers) The Royal Regiment of Scotland and all their joint history and insignia.

There was once what was known as the 'Golden Thread' a link between The Royal Scots and The King's Own Scottish Borderers, who were amalgamated to form 1SCOTS (Royal Scots Borderers) a joint 373 years of service to the Crown with both having never in their joint history been amalgamated before, but now it is all gone, the cap badge may as well have been a Parrot rather than some modern Third Reich looking badge.

They were then reformed on 30 November 2021 as 1st Battalion The Ranger Regiment (ironically it was not lost on us Scots it was on St Andrews Day of all days), they are one of four in this Special Operations Brigade and expected to operate, with allies to counter extremists and hostile states.

PS: Please note it is 'The Ranger Battalion' and not Rangers this is a football team and they are not soldiers.

Hiram
Old 31-12-21, 03:50 PM

Default Ranger Regt

https://www.forces.net/news/new-army...we-know-so-far
Old 31-12-21, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderer View Post
PS: Please note it is 'The Ranger Battalion' and not Rangers this is a football team and they are not soldiers.

Hiram
Ranger Regiment actually.

Battalions designated as… 1st Battalion, Ranger Regiment etc.

Also the MOD’s own website refers to them as ‘Rangers’ in this article:
https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-eve...f-the-rangers/

The Rangers draw their name from an elite unit that fought in the British Army in the 18th Century in North America, using irregular tactics. The British Army shares this heritage with US Special Operations Forces, whose 75th Ranger Regiment traces its lineage back to the same grouping. In addition, our Ranger Regiment draws on the proud tradition of British Army units and formations honed for unconventional operations such as the Special Service Brigades, the Raiding Support Regiment, V-Force, the Chindits and T-Force during World War Two.

While the new Rangers might not have to abide by the original 28 Rules of Ranging – including turning up to evening parade with a ‘firelock, sixty rounds of powder and ball, and a hatchet,’ they will be self-sufficient and highly resourceful, just like the Rangers of the past.

Amazing the Regiment has been formed just 30 days and pedantry begins.

Last edited by Luke H; 31-12-21 at 04:17 PM.
Old 31-12-21, 04:05 PM

Quote:
This not a Special Forces Unit per-say, what they the MOD have done is: Disband after only 16 years of service, 1 SCOTS (Royal Scots Borderers) The Royal Regiment of Scotland and all their joint history and insignia.

There was once what was known as the 'Golden Thread' a link between The Royal Scots and The King's Own Scottish Borderers, who were amalgamated to form 1SCOTS (Royal Scots Borderers) a joint 373 years of service to the Crown with both having never in their joint history been amalgamated before, but now it is all gone, the cap badge may as well have been a Parrot rather than some modern Third Reich looking badge.

They were then reformed on 30 November 2021 as 1st Battalion The Ranger Regiment (ironically it was not lost on us Scots it was on St Andrews Day of all days), they are one of four in this Special Operations Brigade and expected to operate, with allies to counter extremists and hostile states.

Hiram
I've not looked at it that way Hiram.
The thread, as it were, has been cut!
All that history and tradition gone!
The article that HolyBoy shows, says that if the soldier fails the two week course, they return to their original cap badge, how can the guys of 1 Scots and the Rifles return to theirs, if it's those Battalions are now Ranger Battalions?
I'm going to say it again, a horrible badge!
Chris
Old 02-01-22, 05:07 PM

Here is and even worse thought, what if in the future this Ranger Regiment was ever to be made 'Royal' !!! would the 'Crown' or 'Royal Crest' sit above the Shite Hawkes open wings ? and it could be called 'Prince Andrews Own Ranger Regiment' in keeping with this shite theme.

Just saying
Hiram
Old 02-01-22, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Looks Yank to me, horrible.
As a Yank, I agree.
Old 02-01-22, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Looks Yank to me, horrible.
Sp x10
Old 02-01-22, 08:27 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Shite Hawkes

.....perfect.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 12-01-22, 09:48 AM

Of course, being not British, I have in fact no say in this. But the badge reminds me of the front and back number plates of a (former) NS (Netherlands Railways) diesel locomotive series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg NS2225.jpeg (35.2 KB, 18 views)

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 12-01-22, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
Of course, being not British, I have in fact no say in this. But the badge reminds me of the front and back number plates of a (former) NS (Netherlands Railways) diesel locomotive series.
Even if you were British you'd have no say in it!!

Dave.
Old 12-01-22, 03:54 PM

Unfathomable! I confirmed via searches that 1 Scots is indeed to be disbanded.
The British Army that I first knew as a youngster which fascinated me all my life is essentially gone. The badges we collect and study are all antiquities now.
I have said what I think of that "Ranger" badge and will say no more.

CB
Old 12-01-22, 03:59 PM

What happens to the Royal Regiment of Scotland now? Do the battalions renumber or just stay numbered as now until further amalgamated?
Old 12-01-22, 04:34 PM

Remember the good old 'All the signs of a good career' badge poster, it'll be the size of a post-it note soon!
Chris
Old 12-01-22, 05:42 PM

It was ever thus.

I joined the Royal Marines in part because the regiment that 5 generations of my family had served in had gone even before I was born...
Old 13-01-22, 09:55 PM

Think the badge would have looked slightly better if they had put it in a circle or wreath and crown.