British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-22, 12:33 PM

Default 3rd Dragoon Guards mystery

I have this small 3DG badge in my collection with, as you can see, J R Gaunt late Jennens on it which must make it post 1924, the takeover date. However, the 3DG amalgamated in 1922 with their new 6th Carabineers badge so why was this badge made in 1924 or later? I would be very interested to hear your answers.
Denis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 12.24.37.jpg (91.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 12.25.04.jpg (73.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 17-02-22, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis pannett View Post
I have this small 3DG badge in my collection with, as you can see, J R Gaunt late Jennens on it which must make it post 1924, the takeover date. However, the 3DG amalgamated in 1922 with their new 6th Carabineers badge so why was this badge made in 1924 or later? I would be very interested to hear your answers.
Denis
Was it a case of wearing a new cap badge but retaining the collars of the original regiments for a number of years.

Lovely badge.
Old 17-02-22, 02:01 PM

Default 3DG

Hi Keith,
This badge is a cap badge with long loops, not a collar. I have another one with even longer loops.
Denis
Old 17-02-22, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

There is the common assumption that the cap badges changed upon amalgamation. This is not true. There was a strong feeling among some that the mergers would be undone.

So some regiments were disbanded and the men sent to other regiments and then a short period later men were posted again to form the 4th (generally junior) squadron in the new regiment.

There is no hard fast rule but it seems that some regiments continued to wear the old pattern cap badges for some years: whether this was both designs or just the senior regiments badge is still unclear for many regiments. By the late 20's it seems that the finality of the mergers had been accepted and some new designs were sealed for new pattern badges for the whole regiment. Often this accompanied by a new title. I have been unable to find any dates for when the junior sqn badges ceased to be worn but we do have the sealed pattern dates for some of the new badges.

So in the 3rd Carbineers case this was 1929.

So in answer to your question this design was in use as an officer's badge probably up to 1928/9.

Last edited by Alan O; 17-02-22 at 02:32 PM.
Old 17-02-22, 02:19 PM

It is a small size cap badge, I think for the colored FS cap. I have read somewhere that some cavalry regiments continued to wear their old badges for some time after amalgamation?

CB
Old 17-02-22, 03:03 PM

Beautiful badge!
Chris
Old 17-02-22, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
It is a small size cap badge, I think for the colored FS cap. I have read somewhere that some cavalry regiments continued to wear their old badges for some time after amalgamation?

CB
I read an item regarding the 14th/20th Hussars in the Gulf War. The CO was chewed out by the Brigade Commander because one of his Squadron Leaders was sporting a 20th Hussars badge in his cap.
Old 17-02-22, 08:42 PM

I believe 2 squadrons remained 3rd and 2 remained 6th for a couple of years. I think they also wore a 3/6 DG shoulder title.
Old 17-02-22, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I read an item regarding the 14th/20th Hussars in the Gulf War. The CO was chewed out by the Brigade Commander because one of his Squadron Leaders was sporting a 20th Hussars badge in his cap.
That's pretty good....old identities and affections die hard. I can imagine that some of the amalgamations were not always well thought of by some.

CB
Old 17-02-22, 03:17 PM

Default 3DG

Thank you Alan O for your informative reply which explains the anomaly well.