British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-22, 12:21 PM

Default Gurkha shoulder title - ?

I recently acquired this pair of GR shoulder titles from an ebay seller. He was selling a few genuine buttons/titles of 3GR - from around the 1920's and this pair came with them.
The 3GR title is from my own collection but interestingly there was a pair of these being offered by the same seller from the same source. They had the makers name J H Johnson & Co. Aligarh UP stamped on the reverse ( the same as my example ) - I've photographed the 3GR example as the font matches the GR ( albeit the GR is larger - 17mm in height ).
I think if the GR titles had been offered on their own I might have passed - but given some "provenance" to the 3GR and the similarity of font to that used by Johnson - I thought I'd take a "risk". I'm aware that there's no examples recorded of a shoulder title with just GR and no number preceding it - but was curious enough to buy them.
Having shown them to Ashok he speculated that they might be a reserve Btn - before they were allocated a number ( but it was only a "guess" ) - it also occurred to me that during 1916 there was 3rd Btn raised for the 4GR bt due to a clerical error it was posted as the 4/3rd GR - I wonder if the titles could have been related to this confusion ? Will probably never know for sure .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 863985AE-2E8D-41FD-8DD0-2FAFD3DFFDA8.jpg (67.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 16-08-22, 12:43 PM

Hi Tim,
There's been a couple of sets of these on E bay recently. I don't think there Gurkha. Sadly I cant ask John Chapple any more. The only remote possibility is for the short lived 11 GR. Although the example I have is 11G but officer size.
Steve
Old 16-08-22, 03:20 PM

Hi Steve - the two sets were from the same seller - and I contacted him as to where they had come from - he could only confirm that they came with the 3GR items - which I know is no guarantee of Gurkha provenance - but combined with the unusual font which I know to be used by Johnson & Sons on another 3GR title - I'm still leaning towards "possible" Gurkha - at least until someone comes up with a better alternative . I know Ashok considered the Garhwal Rifles
but then dismissed it and thinks its Gurkha.
Old 17-08-22, 05:44 PM

Tim,
I considered Garwall as well, but dismissed it when looking thro my reference books.
Maybe one day we will find out.

Steve