British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-22, 11:15 PM

Default Some recommendations....

So, I have finally got some time to myself before the seasonal festivities begin and members of the family begin to arrive in their various forms. The rather loud and excited landing of my eldest from her studies has reminded me of a conversation that we had a little while back and her observation that, with considerably more than 1000 books (not all military related I hasten to add) in my collection, I have officially enough books to constitute a library. Scary thoughts and I am sure that many on the forum are in the same boat. I now wonder if I hadn't bought all these books, perhaps I would no longer have that millstone around my neck, that is a mortgage to pay off.. Then of course, I remind myself that I wouldn't be as wise as I now am (many will disagree) and would merely be staring at four walls. I pride myself in the knowledge that a lot, but not all of the books I own I have read. From my collection of fishing books all the way to the books on the proud history of my county of Hertfordshire and of course the many books on military and especially Naval history.

So, I gave myself the task of finding a couple of books to recommend to the forum. I finally arrived at three, the second and third being obvious choices to anyone that knows me and the first one because of my love of horses. Not only because of those reasons, but also that I love to read from the perspective of those that where actually experiencing what was happening at the time.

I won't give a review on the books, I will leave it to you to discover if you so wish. However, I do recommend them. I will now take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and peaceful Christmas.

Andrew

Last edited by Nozzer; 30-11-23 at 08:21 PM.
Old 22-12-22, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
So, I have finally got some time to myself before the seasonal festivities begin and members of the family begin to arrive in their various forms. The rather loud and excited landing of my eldest from her studies has reminded me of a conversation that we had a little while back and her observation that, with considerably more than 1000 books (not all military related I hasten to add) in my collection, I have officially enough books to constitute a library. Scary thoughts and I am sure that many on the forum are in the same boat. I now wonder if I hadn't bought all these books, perhaps I would no longer have that millstone around my neck, that is a mortgage to pay off.. Then of course, I remind myself that I wouldn't be as wise as I now am (many will disagree) and would merely be staring at four walls. I pride myself in the knowledge that a lot, but not all of the books I own I have read. From my collection of fishing books all the way to the books on the proud history of my county of Hertfordshire and of course the many books on military and especially Naval history.

So, I gave myself the task of finding a couple of books to recommend to the forum. I finally arrived at three, the second and third being obvious choices to anyone that knows me and the first one because of my love of horses. Not only because of those reasons, but also that I love to read from the perspective of those that where actually experiencing what was happening at the time.

I won't give a review on the books, I will leave it to you to discover if you so wish. However, I do recommend them. I will now take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and peaceful Christmas.

Andrew
Thanks Andy; I've not read any of those. So many books, so little time.

Merry Christmas.

JT
Old 23-12-22, 12:20 AM

I too love books and have several I have read and reread at least once a year. Thanks for your recommendations!

If I were to recommend 3 books it would be these.

Watership Down by Richard Adams

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy by Steig Larson

The He'll Diver series by Nicholas smith

I know these are not military books, but they are my favorites. I do have primarily military or uniform books in my library however.

Terry
Old 23-12-22, 08:33 AM

Thanks Andy, like you I’ve a “few” books, most are still boxed up from our move from Hertfordshire over to the dark side of Bedfordshire but I’ve not seen the second one you show so that’s one I’d like to read, with my birthday coming up very soon I feel a big hint to be dropped to the family, hopefully one of them will be listening!! Happy Christmas one and all.

Gerard