British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-24, 02:18 PM

Default RAF KC WO Ludski & Son cap badge

Hi all,

I recently acquired this WO KC cap badge made by Ludski & Son, London.

This is the first I have seen with this makers mark on a RAF cap badge.

From previous discussions on this Forum it would appear this badge would have been made pre Spring 1934 when they renamed to Ludlow.

Unfortunately, the badge is tarnished in places. Any suggestions on how to remove this without further damaging the badge would be most welcome.

Also, if anyone has any idea when the badge may have been used it would be appreciated. Doubtful, but I wonder if it could it be from around the WWI era?

Regards,

Graham
Old 02-04-24, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaraftype View Post
Also, if anyone has any idea when the badge may have been used it would be appreciated. Doubtful, but I wonder if it could it be from around the WWI era?
Found an old listing for "WW1 Attributed 1918 RAF 2nd Lieutenant War Economy Cap Badge by Ludski."

Quote:
he illustrates this badge being worn by a Second Lieutenant and describes it as “RAF War Economy Cap Badge” Not to be confused with later Warrant Officer Cap Badges.
https://www.dearoldblighty.com/en-GB...ski/prod_19334

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 02-04-24, 03:03 PM

The fabric cushion to the crown was introduced for WO's badges 'tween the wars.
Old 02-04-24, 07:01 PM

Default RAF KC WO Ludski & Son cap badge NOT

Hi,

Many thanks for the link Mike, well pleased that it is identified as WWI era and even better, just issued only briefly to RAF 2nd Lt's.

Also, thanks Leigh for the info regarding the red crown fabric introduction period.

Regards,

Graham
Old 02-04-24, 10:26 PM

Default RAF W/O's

I bought one of these from a metal detecting enthusiast who found it on Botisham airfield which I think was a WWII base, it was mangled from years of cultivation, I straightened it out and replaced the blades, it had Ludski on the reverse.

The badge is top centre.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030811.jpg (67.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-04-24, 10:55 AM

I have this example which was id'd by past forum member Dragon166 as an early 1918 RAF officer's badge. I haven't tried to peel back the padding to see if it is marked though.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0758.jpg (72.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-04-24, 03:51 PM

Default LUDSKI & SON - RAF CAP BADGE

From the regulations -Early Officers Cap Badges.
1918 Introductory memo: Officers - The badge is entwined laurel leaves, above which is a reduced facsimile of the metal bird at present worn on the sleeve by R.N.A. S, the whole being surmounted by a crown.
: Warrant Officer 1st Class - Cap badge will be the same as for officers.
1918 slightly later order: Officers Cap Badge. Until gold embroidered badges are forthcoming in adequate quantities to meet requirements, officers are permitted to wear gilt metal cap badges, a sample of which has been sealed, and is on view in Room 828, Air Ministry.
Even later order Jul 1918: Cap badges Warrant Officer 1st Class - As for Officers but in gilding metal.
In view of the foregoing I submit that the Ludski badge if manufactured in 1918 could have been worn by both Officers and WO 1s
Old 08-04-24, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY WALKLING View Post
From the regulations -Early Officers Cap Badges.
1918 Introductory memo: Officers - The badge is entwined laurel leaves, above which is a reduced facsimile of the metal bird at present worn on the sleeve by R.N.A. S, the whole being surmounted by a crown.
: Warrant Officer 1st Class - Cap badge will be the same as for officers.
1918 slightly later order: Officers Cap Badge. Until gold embroidered badges are forthcoming in adequate quantities to meet requirements, officers are permitted to wear gilt metal cap badges, a sample of which has been sealed, and is on view in Room 828, Air Ministry.
Even later order Jul 1918: Cap badges Warrant Officer 1st Class - As for Officers but in gilding metal.
In view of the foregoing I submit that the Ludski badge if manufactured in 1918 could have been worn by both Officers and WO 1s
Hi Ray,
Thanks for the primary source reference material.
Please can you add the official reference numbers to each order.
Thanks
Barry
Old 08-04-24, 08:47 AM

Default Ludski & Son - RAF Cap Badge

Have posted all I have
Old 08-04-24, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY WALKLING View Post
Yes, it definitely was. I have copies of photos of junior officers wearing that badge, but do not have permission to show them here. The 2 pics I have are a Lt & 2nd Lt.
Cheers,
Alex