British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-05-24, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
sSo which book do I need please?
This is in reference to WW2 RAF badges only. Post war stuff I know little about.
Unfortunately, there is no 'one book', as far as I am aware. Rather, I have had to collect information from many different sources over many years & consult previous research kindly shared by others on forums, such as this one.
Hobart's book will give you a good hint & the late David Parsons' two great files a good deal more. Barry O'Sullivan's RNZAF book is excellent also (New Zealand Air Force – Uniforms, Clothing, Badges and Personal Equipment 1923-1948), as is Eagles Recalled by the late Warren Carroll. Air Ministry orders (if you can find them or someone who will share), the Australian War Memorial website, NZ museums, etc. are all great resources also.

I'll be honest with you too, there was one older collector who ended up being banned from all collector sites, like this one, as he was convicted of peadophilia & stealing RAF Log Books, & although a complete piece of %#@*, he did know his RAF badges back to front also & seemed to have helped David Parsons with his publications. Although I never spent one cent with him out of principal, & he had some very, very rarely seen RAF badges, insignia & kit, I did follow his listings on eBay until they disappeared, & learned much in the process, printing it all off as I went. He often referred to the Air Ministry orders in his description of any badge for sale & added a period photo or two of the rare badge in wear too. At least with his listings you also had a chance to see the reverse of many of these badges, unlike many other books, etc. previously mentioned. I suspect he was liquidating his entire & very extensive collection at the time.

Another RAF badge information source can be looking at other Commonwealth air force nation's information online. Often they emulated the RAF badges or were based on the RAF badges & insignia & therefore may be of some help.
My favourite 'book' is a filing cabinet of all of this sort of thing that I have collected from everywhere. It takes time...

Best regards,
David
Old 07-05-24, 03:21 PM

Thank you very much indeed.
Old 07-05-24, 04:49 PM

Default Margaret Nobbs Unpublished Book

I have a spare copy of Margaret Nobbs' Unpublished book from the 1970's which was put together pre-computers and features line drawings of badges and insignia.

The book itself is free if you want it, however I must charge shipping (at cost). It is a very heavy document.

PM me if you are interested.
Old 08-05-24, 04:55 PM

Default On Hold

Margaret's book is on hold at the moment.
Old 09-05-24, 10:00 AM

Default Catalogue - Margaret Nobbs & Charles Thomas

As a matter of interest, does your copy contain INDEX pages A6 -A10 (2/90 No.2)?
Old 09-05-24, 09:38 PM

Default My own copy

Can't say for the 'on hold' copy as that has been posted but I can confirm that my own copy DOES contain said version of the index - the 2/90 No 2 is hand written in a small box at the bottom of the first column on each page.
Old 10-05-24, 05:07 PM

Default AN ILLUSTRATED AND DESCRIPTIVE CATALOGUE OF AIR FORCE INSIGNIA

Many thanks Blueboy 684 for your reply. After careful study of the above mention work I have for some time tried to find out the background of the Catalogue. From hearsay, I understand it started out as a joint enterprise between Margaret Nobbs and Charles Thomas. I have observed the use of two completely different styles throughout. 148 sheets (1st style) followed by 152 sheets (2nd style), the reason for which is unclear. After some digging it has been suggested that during the 1980's Professor Thomas became deeply involved in the Institute of Cornish Studies and lost his flair for the catalogue. Later when Margaret Nobbs retired from BT she became frustrated with the speed of progress and decided to a complete the catalogue on her own. Does anyone know the real facts?
Old 13-05-24, 07:33 AM

And does anyone know exactly how many of the A-Z and the AA, BB etc sections of the Catalogue were actually issued please?
(There are a number that I need to aquire).