British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Colonial Police and Paramilitary Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-23, 07:05 PM

Default Palestine Police Badges

Hi,
As a relative newcomer to PP items, I'm looking for some assistance regarding PP badges primarily the badges not shown in Hornes book.
The reason I ask is I came across an entry in an old OCA newsletter which asked ex-PP members if they would part with examples to be deposited with the archivist and added to examples already there, these were named as :
'PP Farrier arm badge in white metal
PP M/T (I am guessing motor transport) badge
PP crossed rifles (1st class shot), lower arm badge'

I suspect there are probably a few badges not shown by Horne in his book ( he may mention them but I haven't read the entire book yet), my reasoning being, regardless of the above OCA entry, that it would seem odd for an organisation based on military principles like the PP, that lasted for a reasonable amount of time, to not follow military conventions and have badges for various trades etc....
Does anyone have any information on theseor any thoughts on their existence? Anyone seen any examples?
Mention is made that the collection once complete will be given to the IWM, but the items held in their collection relating to PP is limited, does anyone know where the archivist material would have gone?
Gary

Last edited by gary1666; 11-04-23 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-04-23, 07:16 PM

Hi Gary

Have you tried the British Palestine Police Association (formerly The Palestine Police Old Comrades Association)? If they don't have them they may know who does.

http://britishpalestinepolice.org.uk/

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 11-04-23, 07:26 PM

Hi Graham,
Thanks for the reply - I've looked at that site a few times but it seemed to never be updated, I thought it might be defunct? Does anyone know of it's still current?
I've had a reply from the archivist, a couple of pointers to follow up but no badges as yet

Last edited by gary1666; 12-04-23 at 10:14 AM.
Old 13-10-23, 03:21 PM

POCA Newsletter No 206 (Summer 2002) p38 suggests that the archivist at the time managed to get together the badges in question, bar the MT badge.

I was briefly involved with the PP association committee and I know that the then archivist (nearly a couple of decades later) had no knowledge of any badges being part of the surviving archives.

They may have been donated to the Middle East Centre (MECA) or to Catterick and you should investigate there.

The MT badge does appear fairly frequently, sometimes with what appears to be different coloured backing cloths. There was an example recently sold by Minden Militaria.

As to the current health of the BPPA - well, it is still in existence, though a shadow of what it once was. The current archivist I think does very well with the material at his hand, though in all honesty the knowledge of uniforms and insignia is as good here as anywhere.

I note in another post an example of a lightning flash badge which may be associated with the PP. I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of this being worn and will keep a look out. Though my primary interest is the British Gendarmerie rather than the Police.
Old 13-10-23, 04:06 PM

This may be the 'crossed rifles lower arm badge' referred to above
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP Crossed Rifles.jpg (28.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 14-10-23, 07:54 PM

Hi Peter,
Much appreciated. I saw what could be the lightning badge in a PP newsletter I was flicking through, it was a slightly angled view though on uniform, I'll try and dig it out.
Many thanks, Gary
Old 14-10-23, 08:00 PM

Peter,
Just had a look at the MT badge, how annoying I missed it as I try and keep an eye on their new items, the hunt continues!
The crossed badge, only in cloth? Or is there a metal version?
Gary