British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-14, 02:52 PM

Default Airborne tabs ...

Hello gentlemen,

First ,I want to wish you an happy new year, with a good health and a lot of good finds for your collections..

Secondly, I would like to know your opinion... It seems that it is much more easier to find originals printed Pegasus arm badges than the printed "Airborne" tab ... why ??

Best regards .. Herve
Old 02-01-14, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half12 View Post
Hello gentlemen,

First ,I want to wish you an happy new year, with a good health and a lot of good finds for your collections..

Secondly, I would like to know your opinion... It seems that it is much more easier to find originals printed Pegasus arm badges than the printed "Airborne" tab ... why ??

Best regards .. Herve
Hi Herve
The airborne tabs where a short lived item about 2-3 years where the pegaus patch was used right up till the late 40's in a printed form and is still in use . regards steve
Old 02-01-14, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR142 View Post
Hi Herve
The airborne tabs where a short lived item about 2-3 years where the pegaus patch was used right up till the late 40's in a printed form and is still in use . regards steve
Printed signs were worn into the early 1960s - in fact until BD went out of fashion - and c 1960/61 the only form of AB Forces sign officially permitted to be worn on BD in 16 Para Bde was the printed version. Mike
Old 03-01-14, 03:25 PM

Hello Steve and Mike,

Thanks for these informations.

I have to understand that the "ww2" printed Pegasus were still worn in the 60' ?? and the Airborne tabs were not worn after 1945.

Best regards .. Herve
Old 03-01-14, 04:28 PM

Default 16 Para Bde

For what it is worth, this pair were worn by an officer of the Guards Indep Para Coy in the early 1960s. At the same time he wore EonF signs with press studs on his KD shirt in the Middle East. So much for regulations!
16 Para Bde - Guards Indep Para Coy.jpg
Old 03-01-14, 05:43 PM

Herve

The Airborne strip ceased to be worn in December 1944. It only had a life of just over 2 years and was not worn by all units.

Despite what people might tell you there is actually no rule to who wore it and who didn't. There are plenty of pictures out there showing soldiers from the same unit, parachute or glider borne, both wearing it and not wearing it.
Old 03-01-14, 05:53 PM

Herve it is also easy to control the market when you have so many
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airborne patches.jpg (72.0 KB, 164 views)
Old 03-01-14, 10:44 PM

Hello Jdr,

Oups ! Please open your gold mine...

Best regards.. Herve
Old 06-01-14, 08:43 AM

LOL, I think you should add the words "by some people" to the end of your first sentence, a member of my own family wore his in Germany, Norway and Palestine throughout 1945.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Herve

The Airborne strip ceased to be worn in December 1944. It only had a life of just over 2 years and was not worn by all units.

Despite what people might tell you there is actually no rule to who wore it and who didn't. There are plenty of pictures out there showing soldiers from the same unit, parachute or glider borne, both wearing it and not wearing it.
Old 06-01-14, 12:32 PM

I think that the following may be of interest. The letter dated 20.06.44. may explain why some troops wore the AIRBORNE title, and others didn't.
Stephen.

07.02.44. Memo from 21 Army Group to WO referring to distinguishing marks worn by Airborne Troops:
Regimental designation- ‘Army Air Corps’, ‘Glider Pilot Regiment’ or Parachute Regiment’.
Formation Sign- Bellerophon mounted on a winged horse Pegasus, with ‘Airborne’ title underneath.
Arm of Service strip- Cambridge Blue and dark blue (worn by paratroops only).
The object of the title ‘Airborne’ was to explain the Pegasus sign, and was worn instead of an Arm of Service strip. By the date of writing the Pegasus sign was so well known that it was thought the ‘Airborne’ title was redundant. It also took up unnecessary room on the sleeve where there were already the regimental designation, formation sign, Parachute wings, and badges of rank. Authority was sought for all ranks of the AAC to discontinue wearing the title ‘Airborne’, and wear the AAC Arm of Service strip instead.
22.02.44. DPS requested confirmation that the request applied not just to AAC but to all personnel of Airborne Division.
24.02.44. Reply by 21 Army Group that the title ‘Airborne’ should be retained by all airlanding personnel, but not be personnel of AAC.
09.03.44. DPS replied that there was no objection to the discontinuance of wearing the ‘Airborne’ title.
08.04.44. Major-General, Director of Air, wrote to HQ 21 Army Group agreeing that there was a ‘certain redundancy’ in the titles and designations worn by Airborne Troops. He asked for consideration of abolishing the title ‘Airborne’ entirely.
28.04.44. Rear HQ 21 Army Group responded to DofA. They thought that the withdrawal of the title ‘Airborne’ would not be satisfactory, but suggested that manufacture should cease, and wear continue whilst stocks remained. Their previous request for the Arm of Service strip to be worn was no longer required.
10.05.44. Memo from ADOS, OS7, to Senior Provision Officer, P5. The wearing of ‘CB1056 Titles Airborne Printed’ by AAC was to be discontinued. Action to delete this item was requested.
23.05.44. Letter from Rear HQ 21 Army Group to WO requested that the title ‘Airborne’ should not immediately be disallowed, but that the titles then being worn should not be renewed, and no more be issued or ordered.
20.06.44. DPS wrote to HQ 21 Army Group confirming that the ‘Airborne’ title would be worn by all personnel of Airborne Forces until present stocks were exhausted. They would be completely withdrawn from service on 31.12.44.
Old 06-01-14, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
LOL, I think you should add the words "by some people" to the end of your first sentence, a member of my own family wore his in Germany, Norway and Palestine throughout 1945.
GROAN, I think you should add the words " by most people " to the end of your first sentence.
Old 06-01-14, 02:48 PM

Hello Guys,
Many thanks for these informations...
Best regards .. Herve
Old 07-01-14, 09:31 AM

Hello Herve,
I wish you and your family a very happy new year, if you are looking to buy an example of the airborne strip, I would if I were you just get a good, used, printed example, they are not rare and you should find one without any problems, be careful if you use ebay though, lots of funny ones that people have had made over the years.
Kind regards Frank Kelley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020297.jpg (55.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg P1020298.jpg (53.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-01-14, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
they are not rare and you should find one without any problems

Have you been living in a cave for the past 10 years?
Old 08-01-14, 07:54 PM

Hello Franck,

Thanks for your wishes. Please accept mine for you and your family in return.

If you can provide me 1 or 2 pairs of these airborne strips, in worn condition, I will be the happiest guy to start 2014 ... (I don't want to buy them on eBay, too many fakes.)

Best regards .. Herve