British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-03-09, 11:30 PM

Default Air Marshall William "Billy" Bishop,1939.

A really nice close-up photograph of WW1 ace AM W.Bishop RCAF taken in 1939 showing the cap badge worn on his winter cap.From the Life Magazine files.
Jo
http://images.google.com/hosted/life...0b9e6137ba1e55

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 15-03-09, 01:12 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Hey Jo, I neeed his shoulder boards to complete my set. We didn't have a Marshall of the Air Force, he was British. Ray
Old 15-03-09, 01:32 AM

Well Ray, according to some source he was made "Honorary" Air Marshal of the RCAF and placed in charge of recruitment. On his tombstone it says, Air Marshal RCAF. Also I don't understand the <<he was British>> he was born in Owen Sound in 1894. I agree all were British subject until 1947
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 15-03-09, 03:42 AM

If the Canadian ranks were the same as the RAF, 'Air Marshal' was outranked by 'Marshall of the Airforce' ('Marshall of the Royal Air Force' for the UK) which was the top of the rank structure. Treading on unfamiliar Canadian ground and no rank expert. If they had 'scrambled egg' they all looked the same to me. Cheers, Paul. -Did the RCAF never actualy use the rank? I think there have only been 20 or so RAF ones inc. Royal Family.

Last edited by wardog; 15-03-09 at 04:08 AM.
Old 15-03-09, 12:36 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Wardog is right about Marshall of the Air Force,There was only one at any given time & Canada never had one That rank has always been British,but they did have the rank Air Marshall whether they actually used it or not I'm not sure. Does anyone out there know of a Canadian Air Marshall? Oh yes Jo when I said HE was British I meant the Marshall of the Air Force & not Billy Bishop. Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 15-03-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 15-03-09, 01:09 PM

Oh,... OK Ray.
Jo