British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-19, 05:09 PM

Default S.Y.R. button stick.

Afternoon all,

I've had this red fibre button stick for years & think I might at last have identified the regiment it was issued to. Stamped on it is S.Y.R. 2230, & the only unit I can find which matches is the King's Own Light Infantry [South Yorkshire Regiment] formed in 1881 which changed it's title to the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in 1887. As for the service number, a K.O.Y.L.I. blog I've found states that 1591 joined on 13/2/1885 & 2281 joined on 19/2/1886 which puts 2230 in between those dates. Am I right & were fibre button sticks issued as early as the 1880s? I might be passing this on if I can identify it.

Thanks,

David.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bs1.jpg (64.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg bs2.jpg (58.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-02-19, 05:44 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Are they simply the initials of the owner....
Old 10-02-19, 07:28 PM

I seriously doubt that there's a South Yorkshire connection, based upon the dates you've alreadt given. South Yorkshire didn't exist as a county before 1974.
Old 10-02-19, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Are they simply the initials of the owner....
Yes I thought about that but a Christian name beginning with a Y?
Old 10-02-19, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Bubble View Post
I seriously doubt that there's a South Yorkshire connection, based upon the dates you've alreadt given. South Yorkshire didn't exist as a county before 1974.

King's Own Light Infantry [South Yorkshire Regiment] was an official regimental title from 1881 to 1887. Nothing to do with county boundaries.
I'm hoping that somebody can tell me when fibre button sticks were first issued to the British Army.
Old 11-02-19, 08:49 AM

Clothing Regulations 1881 provides for a 'button brass' as part of the free issue of kit and necessaries to all soldiers.

Keith
Old 11-02-19, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Clothing Regulations 1881 provides for a 'button brass' as part of the free issue of kit and necessaries to all soldiers.

Keith
Thank you that's useful. Were clothing regulations published yearly or on a less
regular basis? I would still like to know when fibre ones were first issued. If it is too late for the 1880s & not K.O.L.I., then I can't think of another unit with that series of letters as it's title. The Y suggests Yorkshire or Yeomanry but the letters are in the wrong order for my other possibility of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry.
Old 11-02-19, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post

Keith
Would your 'button brass' be the same as the 'Brass, cleaning' from the 1936 Regulations for the Clothing of the Army?
Oddly enough, neither 'Brass, cleaning' nor 'button brass' are listed in the index.

The 1914 edition of the Regulations for the Clothing of the Army still lists the 'Button, brass'.

According to David B. Gordon's 'Equipment of the WWII Tommy', a publication fraught with inaccuracies, 'numerous patterns were produced and the type a soldier was issued depended partly on what regiment he was in. Button sticks were made from several materials and examples made from pressed fibre board, brass and bakelite are pictured.'

Rgds, Thomas
Old 11-02-19, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Would your 'button brass' be the same as the 'Brass, cleaning' from the 1936 Regulations for the Clothing of the Army?
Oddly enough, neither 'Brass, cleaning' nor 'button brass' are listed in the index.

The 1914 edition of the Regulations for the Clothing of the Army still lists the 'Button, brass'.

According to David B. Gordon's 'Equipment of the WWII Tommy', a publication fraught with inaccuracies, 'numerous patterns were produced and the type a soldier was issued depended partly on what regiment he was in. Button sticks were made from several materials and examples made from pressed fibre board, brass and bakelite are pictured.'

Rgds, Thomas

Thanks Thomas,

So it's still as clear as mud then. Looking at it from another angle what about fibre I.D., discs, when were they first issued? I'm wondering if there's a possibility that they were first issued at around the same time as the fibre button sticks?
Old 11-02-19, 09:46 PM

They may have been made of different fibres and most likely introduced by different sections of the army, so doubtful this info will help you in your quest.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 11-02-19, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
They may have been made of different fibres and most likely introduced by different sections of the army, so doubtful this info will help you in your quest.

Rgds, Thomas

Thanks again Thomas.