British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-19, 09:17 PM

Question Suffolk Regt thoughts?

I have always been dismissive of this KC version of the Suffolk Regiment cap badge, lots are online, some honestly described as reproduction, but looking at a Queens crown version (which a veteran has told me was issued but never worn) it looks to me as the badge has a KC which is larger than the normal one with the rest of the badge the same as the QC version.
The space between the oakleaves and the crown is solid which is not found on other Suffolk badges and I would appreciate other opinions on this badge.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020206.jpg (83.5 KB, 106 views)
Old 03-02-19, 10:02 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Both look reasonable badges. The KC looks fine from this distance
Old 03-02-19, 11:00 PM

Smile KC Suffolk

Matti, thanks for you opinion, the KC version is the same as one being sold online and described as being a reproduction, I have seen original badges described as copies or restrikes and bought them only to find they have been certified as originals by other very experienced collectors.

Maybe I'm being too fussy and possibly have a case of restrikitis . . !

Regards Rob
Old 04-02-19, 08:45 PM
Mr. Jackanory

We have all been through that at some stage !! Don't worry too much. I agree the metal QC was made but never issued. I heard that when I used to work at the Royal Anglian Museum Duxford. The quality of QC metal badges seems to have been lower than many of the KC equivalent.
Old 05-02-19, 06:49 PM

Cool KC Suffolks

OK, I probably have a complete case of restrikitis, this pattern I have not encountered before.
I have two spare badges as this one and may offer one of them on this forum.
Thanks for your inputs.
Rob
Old 05-02-19, 07:02 PM

To my eyes KC badge looks like the standard fake sold by the usual eBay culprits.
Old 05-02-19, 09:02 PM

Default Suffolk Regt cap badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
To my eyes KC badge looks like the standard fake sold by the usual eBay culprits.
Luke, you are the first person to confirm my thoughts, I commented on a badge someone put up a while back which I said I would not be happy with this on my Suffolk boards, apparently the member who put this up said he bought the badge some 17-18 years ago, now this may be a badge variety I have never encountered in the last 65 years of collecting and bear in mind I have collected Suffolk badges from day one.

Whilst I admit there were many manufacturers of cap badges during the two great conflicts there are badges which to my mind do not fit into these categories. They suddenly seem to have appeared in the last 20 or so years.

The Suffolk Regt ceased to wear Suffolk cap badges with the creation of the East Anglian Brigade, as far as I know no Cadet forces wore the Suffolk badge, however I am happy to be corrected.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Rob
Old 05-02-19, 09:24 PM

Default Suffolk Regiment QC bi-metal

The Birmingham Mint "Great British Regiments" set produced in about 1974 (45 years ago!) included the Suffolk Regiment with QC.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=767

Although the majority of the badges in the set were produced in a silvered/gilt finish the QC version of the Suffolk Regiment seems only to have been made in bi-metal.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-02-19, 08:54 AM

Default Birmingham mint badges

Tim, I never bought any Birmingham mint badges knowingly, I have a DCLI which they made which has an extremely good look to it and could be taken for an officers badge apart from having a slider.
I wonder why the Suffolk was in an inferior finish, could they have been original issue bought from a surplus supplier?

Rob