British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-12-10, 02:23 PM

Default Military postcards

Hi folks, greetings from a snowy North East!
Due to overspending on badges last month (oops!) I got my wrists slapped by my wife and a month of non-badge buying was implemented
I did however get the all clear to make some purchases of lower priced items so I decided on photographic postcards (see my album)
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=671
Must admit I do find these fascinating and it is good to test a novices knowledge identifying badges etc.
I have had great help from some members with extra information and this only adds to history of the images.
It is also a little sad to look at the brave lads and try to imagine what they went through.
My question is do any other members collect and from where, my main source up to know has been Ebay and the local market.

Thanks for looking

Paul
Old 01-12-10, 02:26 PM

I have just had a look in the "All Albums" and found these

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=193

Paul
Old 01-12-10, 02:36 PM

Yes, I collect photos of WWI squaddies & the like. I have a few hundred, mainly from flea markets and the like years ago, and then from one dealer who I used to visit.
I pick them up very rarely nowadays if I stumble across them in my travels.
I also "collect" photos of WWI German, WWI / WWII Polish & Yugoslavian.

I've stuck a comment on that photo you have of a KOYLI which I'd like you to give me please.
Old 01-12-10, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Yes, I collect photos of WWI squaddies & the like. I have a few hundred, mainly from flea markets and the like years ago, and then from one dealer who I used to visit.
I pick them up very rarely nowadays if I stumble across them in my travels.
I also "collect" photos of WWI German, WWI / WWII Polish & Yugoslavian.

I've stuck a comment on that photo you have of a KOYLI which I'd like you to give me please.
Hi leigh,
Thanks for your comment on the KOYLI photo, thats one of my favourites too!
Bought that one in York recently, on my next visit I will look out for another,the dealer had a lot of KOYLI.

Paul
Old 01-12-10, 02:56 PM

I like it because he's wearing the flower, I'm wondering if it is a Minden Rose.
Later The KOYLI wore one white rose (as opposed to The RRF & I think The LF "red & yellow") in the headgear.
Old 01-12-10, 07:36 PM

Default postcards

A lot of exellent cards, I save cards as well, mostly Notts and Derby although I have just started collecting Q.W.R. L.R.B. Q.V.R. there is one which you have described as 5th Notts/Derby, I have 5 cards all of the same chap his name is "Walter" which is on each of my cards and he was in the T8 Battn. N/Derby.
Old 01-12-10, 08:52 PM

I started collecting PPCs as an accidental adjunct to badge collecting; I thought it would be nice to display the PPC along with the relevant badges. A bit ambitious when you add in the TF and Kitchener battalions, and I don't even like to think about all the TF units in the Arms and Services. Still, most of us probably expect to spend a fair part of our lifetime chasing down the elusive missing elements, otherwise we wouldn't be collectors.

Your KOYLI with the Minden Rose is a very nice find. My example http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...pictureid=6992 is, oddly enough, one of the first PPCs I ever bought!

And those are definitely Scottish Horse in the third picture in your album.
Old 01-12-10, 09:54 PM

Default PPCs

Hello all on this thread, I've been getting a few cigarette cards that depict VC awards to the Artillery. I note that photo's of gunners are more truthful to determine uniform, badges buttons etc, but where do you stop? Regards, David J.
Old 01-12-10, 10:10 PM

Thanks to all who replied.

Paul
Old 01-12-10, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Hello all on this thread, I've been getting a few cigarette cards that depict VC awards to the Artillery. I note that photo's of gunners are more truthful to determine uniform, badges buttons etc, but where do you stop? Regards, David J.
Stop? Why would you want to stop?

"Truthful" is an interesting way to put it. Do you mean the insignia shown follow regulations more accurately? In my experience this tends to be very true of all the Arms and Services. I think the existence of a strong corps identity vice Battery, Field Company, etc., has something to do with it. Certainly the tribalism of Cavalry, Yeomanry and Infantry Regiments (and even Battalions in the last case) is responsible for many of the irregularities seen in photos.

Of course there is truth in those photographed irregularities too. It gives a clue as to what was actually being worn! For example, long before collar badges were authorized for wear on Service Dress, it is clear that many ORs wore them as a form of Walking Out Dress.
Old 02-12-10, 06:13 AM

Default PPCs

OK, I'll explain further. As my "handle" might suggest, I'm a bit of a nut about Artillery. Somewhere in the history of this forum I may have mentioned my collection of British Commonwealth Artillery badges in addition to which I have a few albums that contain, Stamps showing Artillery pieces, Paper money showing same, Photo's of Arty pieces, Photo Postcards showing same and now cigarette cards as mentioned in my last post. Hence, Where do I stop!. I used "Truthful" re. the post-cards because the smaller cigarette cards are very hard to decipher, I really just like them! Regards, David.
Old 02-12-10, 09:56 AM

I don't collect although I have a couple. I like looking at them though and recommend viewing the thread on the Great War Forum to which John has made a superb contribution.
Old 02-12-10, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I don't collect although I have a couple. I like looking at them though and recommend viewing the thread on the Great War Forum to which John has made a superb contribution.
Hi Keith,
Thanks for that I will take a look.

Paul
Old 02-12-10, 01:03 PM
Badge Guru

Had to give up this hobby, way too expensive. I was having to pay out 25-35 a card. When there were less that seven or so photographs ever developed that just happened to be on a postcard value could easily be 100 pounds for just the one card.

There were millions of cards printed and developed during the Great War what it takes is knowledge of what other people collect to be able to determine what is a 50p card and what is a 100 pound card.
Old 02-12-10, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Had to give up this hobby, way too expensive. I was having to pay out 25-35 a card. When there were less that seven or so photographs ever developed that just happened to be on a postcard value could easily be 100 pounds for just the one card.

There were millions of cards printed and developed during the Great War what it takes is knowledge of what other people collect to be able to determine what is a 50p card and what is a 100 pound card.
Hi Jibba Jabba,
That is a very good point, I have been lucky up to now and not paid more than £2.50
I guess its like any form of collecting, the more desirable the item the more expensive it becomes.
My main collection will always be badges but when funds are low it is an alternative to keep the collecting going.

Thanks for you reply

Paul