British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-19, 10:00 AM

Default Seaforth Highlanders Major in the 7th Armoured Div.

Hello everybody! I have got in my collection a 1940 ptn BD blouse badged to a major of the Seaforth Highlanders, apparently serving in the 7th Armoured division. I could not find an evidence of the Seaforth Highlanders having been part of the 7th Armoured division, I guess they were some time after the war? What alo puzzles me is that the BD blouse came with a pair of Mackenzie tartan trews, and the Seaforth Highlanders were of course a kilted regiment. That would make the whole outfit as belonging to a major of the Highland Light Infantry but Davies reports the HLI tartan flash as a SQUARE of Mackenzie tartan 1 3/4in x 1 3/4in, whereas the Seaforth Highlanders flash would be "an oblong of Mackenzie tartan, 3in wide x 1 3/4in deep". And the red stripe in the Seaforth Highlanders flash is vertical whereas in the case of the HLI flash is horizontal. What your advise, gent? The outfit was just put together? Have ever either the HLI or Seaforth Highlanders served under the 7th Armoured Division? thank you in advance for your knowledge, gents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD_7th_Arm_Seaforth_Major_titles.jpg (80.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg BD_7th_Arm_Seaforth_Major_Trews_BD.jpg (75.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 20-01-19, 11:29 AM

Default BD

According to Watson & Rinaldi, 1 Seaforth Highlanders joined 31 Lorried Infantry Bde, 7 Armoured Division in BAOR during April 1952. They left the Brigade in July 1954.
I cannot assist re the trews.

Stephen.
Old 20-01-19, 11:44 AM

OK: it looks like 1st Bn Seaforth Highlanders served in the 31st Lorried Infantry Brigade under the command of the 7th Armoured Division in 1952, when stationed in Luneburg as part of the BAOR. Quite evidently the owner of the BD blouse was transferred to the 1st Bn from either 2nd or 6th Bn, that had fought in Italy respectively with the 51st Highland Division or the 5th Division.
Old 20-01-19, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
According to Watson & Rinaldi, 1 Seaforth Highlanders joined 31 Lorried Infantry Bde, 7 Armoured Division in BAOR during April 1952. They left the Brigade in July 1954.
I cannot assist re the trews.

Stephen.
I guess we have consulted the same source exactly at the very same moment! Quite interesting the fact that whereas the 5th Bn in the 51st Highland division had as a flash a square patch of 42nd tartan, the 6th Battalion had a triangular patch of Mackenzie tartan, so in any case this major had to stitch a new regimental title to his BD blouse.
Old 20-01-19, 01:37 PM

Officers serving on the General Staff of HQ 7th Armoured (or any) Division, Brigade or other Formation HQ can be from any regiment, appointments being made on merit. For example at the end of the Staff College Course Majors would be posted to vacancies in Formation HQs across the army. They might return to their regiment or battalion after that posting - but they might not!

Tim
Old 20-01-19, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Officers serving on the General Staff of HQ 7th Armoured (or any) Division, Brigade or other Formation HQ can be from any regiment, appointments being made on merit. For example at the end of the Staff College Course Majors would be posted to vacancies in Formation HQs across the army. They might return to their regiment or battalion after that posting - but they might not!

Tim
Thank you Tim for your contribution. The major was awarded a Military Cross: there is the faintest trace of a name scribbled on the liner of the blouse, but alas is really unreadable!