British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-07-15, 06:19 AM

Default Australian Corps of Signallers

G'day All,
I have seen a brass version of these badges on Chris Walkers great web site. I have these two, one being white metal and the other looks like copper or bronze, however the reverse of this badge is brass. Does anyone know if they were made in copper or bronze?

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2015.jpg (41.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2014.jpg (44.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-07-15, 12:48 PM

hi phil
nice collars mate and they are a great design. I think I have these in hat size, well at least I have a white metal hat.
I would suggest that the badge on the right is tarnished and originally the front would have looked like the rear.
bc
Old 01-07-15, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummajor View Post
G'day All,
I have seen a brass version of these badges on Chris Walkers great web site. I have these two, one being white metal and the other looks like copper or bronze, however the reverse of this badge is brass. Does anyone know if they were made in copper or bronze?

Phil.
Hi Phil,
Major Graham Donley's 'Signals and Signallers Badges in the Australian Army 1870-2006' just mentions and illustrates the gilt hat badge and collars, quoting Orders for Dress and Clothing 1906. It is possible that officers made their own provision for bronzed badges, although that finish was not an Australian 'thing'. Being absorbed into the Corps of Australian Engineers in 1912 suggests that they did not appear in the copper oxidised finish which appeared during the Great War.
Cheers, Keith
Old 01-07-15, 11:48 PM

Thanks BC you may be right there is a little bit of brass showing through on the crown.

Thanks Keith, for your information. Do you know where I might be able to obtain a copy of the book that you mentioned?

Phil.
Queenstown.
Old 01-07-15, 11:53 PM

hi keith
good info and i wouldn't mind having a look at Graham Donley's book. interesting to note he doesn't mention the white metal badge?
the badge phil shows is not bronze as the back would also be bronze. as suggested it is a brass/gilt badge dulled down on the front
bc
Old 02-07-15, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummajor View Post
Thanks BC you may be right there is a little bit of brass showing through on the crown.

Thanks Keith, for your information. Do you know where I might be able to obtain a copy of the book that you mentioned?

Phil.
Queenstown.
Phil and BC
I'll ask Graham what the go is, I'm sure it may have had a very limited production and I think he said that Australian Army History Unit were not interested in publishing it. It is quite comprehensive, covers stuff like pre-Fed, good conduct stripes, proficiency badges, etc.
Keith
Old 02-07-15, 11:46 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Phil.

The ones at the sigs museum are brass or gilding metal, I thought that I sent you all the pages from the book that l photographed at the museum about a year ago.

l can confirm that there was a diffference of oppinion and the sigs museum did not take on the publishinhg of the book but they do have one in their library.

Phil the info you want is on pages 19 & 20 of the photographs. If you need copies please let me know.

Regards

Phil.

PS going to the gun show on Sat and will see Les and Dave from ballarat.
Old 03-07-15, 01:13 AM

Thanks Phil, I will have another look at the stuff you sent me. Say G'day to Les for me, he was going to look out for a hat badge to go with my collars, I haven't heard from him in a long while so I guess he was unsuccessful.
Regards Phil.
Old 03-07-15, 06:57 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Phil

Will do, but I think that a hat badge would have a 4 figure price in it !! IS Wright sold one about 2 yrs ago and I think the est was $1500 !! Ouch.

I will keep my eyes open for any sigs bits for you and let you know next week unless you want to text your mobile to me on 0401 010 626.

Regards

Phil
Old 03-07-15, 08:03 AM

Hello Phil, yes I think that they would be expensive, Les rang me earlier in the year, he could have gotten me one for $900.00, but like a fool I knocked it back, kickin myself now. The time to buy it is when you see it.