British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-13, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Tourist View Post
Good evening.

And, by contrast, at the other end of the scale is the hallmarked silver version. I wonder who wore that?

S.T.
Probably some snooty officer who never came within fifty miles of the front line.

Edit.

I realize that's a pretty nasty comment to make not knowing the history behind the badge, for all I know it may have been left at home while he fought and died. One does wonder how many HM badges were made and who wore them, was it someone with money to burn straight out of Officer Training, was it expected by their peers to have to purchase an expensive item to keep credibility? Was it acceptable for a low ranking officer to have such an item whist his superiors didn't? Who knows?

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 24-09-13 at 10:29 PM.
Old 24-09-13, 11:16 PM
Banned

Default Queen's variations.

Good morning.

As the Member observes of his own posting, a rather nasty and churlish comment, barely worthy of such a Forum.

And one has to wonder what new, and perhaps younger Collectors, might make of such observations.

S.T.
Old 25-09-13, 12:22 AM

Keith had second thoughts about his comment and stated so-when he could have just altered it. No reason to have a dig at him. I will not comment on the usual tone of your posts. Paul.
Old 25-09-13, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Tourist View Post
Good evening.

And, by contrast, at the other end of the scale is the hallmarked silver version. I wonder who wore that?

I wonder, he said ironically, whether there is a serarate Pattern Number for such an example?

As ever, sitting on the desk next to me.

Enjoy.

S.T.
It would be nice if we could see some of the many examples of HM Silver badges you so often mention sitting on your desk or around you
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 25-09-13, 04:25 AM

When it came time to stamp the all-GM badges, they theoretically could have used any extant dies for the 5th (TF) Queen's. Has anybody compared a BB 5th to an all-GM? Were pattern numbers ever established for the 5th?
Old 26-09-13, 07:41 AM
Former Member

so far I've managed to identify at least 7 differing die/maker variations, all subtly different. I've also shown what they would have looked like back in 1916 when issued, almost anodised aluminium in appearance.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001.jpg (84.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002.jpg (80.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1003.jpg (66.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 26-09-13, 04:01 PM

No actually Enfant, the bimetal badges were (obviously) made from two dies whereas the all GM were (obviously) made from a one piece die.
Old 26-09-13, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
so far I've managed to identify at least 7 differing die/maker variations, all subtly different. I've also shown what they would have looked like back in 1916 when issued, almost anodised aluminium in appearance.

Andy
Am I correct in saying, or seeing right, that re the L/H badge in middle row the lamb's tail is detached from the hindquarters, unlike all the other versions?
GTB
Old 26-09-13, 04:43 PM

Here's mine :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Qf.jpg (58.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Qr.jpg (70.1 KB, 12 views)

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 26-09-13, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Keith had second thoughts about his comment and stated so-when he could have just altered it. No reason to have a dig at him. I will not comment on the usual tone of your posts. Paul.
I will comment on the input from S/T at the risk of being banned from the forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear S/T,

When are we going to see an end your elitist and troll-like remarks made about O/R badges, and also when you will you stop sniping at other members for their use of grammar:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...#post218129#16

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...#post218127#10

These are just two examples.

You have your HM badges while others collect guilding metal/white metal badges. I don't see how one badge is at a one end of a scale compared to another badge as in your post above (#15). The metals are different yes, the scarcity is different yes, but to me they both have a place in history....on the same scale.

Sincerely

Last edited by Rockape; 27-09-13 at 07:46 AM.
Old 26-09-13, 09:09 PM

I suspect you mean misuse of grammar (and spelling).
Old 27-09-13, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
No actually Enfant, the bimetal badges were (obviously) made from two dies whereas the all GM were (obviously) made from a one piece die.
Right, but the 5th Queen's was one piece, being blackened brass.
Old 27-09-13, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfant perdus View Post
When it came time to stamp the all-GM badges, they theoretically could have used any extant dies for the 5th (TF) Queen's. Has anybody compared a BB 5th to an all-GM? Were pattern numbers ever established for the 5th?
I would suppose that the all-GM and 5th (TF) badge would have used same die. The blackening has nothing to do with the die - it is a process that would be applied after the striking. The finished product could then justify a pattern.
GTB
Old 27-09-13, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

The same die would have been used only if the contract had gone to the same company. I don't know who made the economy badges but probably Gaunts or Firmin got most of the contracts. Woodward certainly made some but whether this was as a prime contractor or a sub contrcator I am not sure. I do know that Gaunt did sub-contract some of their badge contracts during WW1 to other companies. Not surprising when the oreders could run to 10,000s.

The TF from 1908-15 may well have used a smaller firm who would cater for their very small production runs of a single Bn's few hundred badges.
Old 28-09-13, 05:05 PM

While on the subject of Queen's BB badges, it would be well to recall the Great War Public Schools OTC contingents, specifically Charterhouse and Reigate Grammar, who wore these versions.
GTB