British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-17, 05:33 PM

Default 111 MAHAR

Hi,
In the Indian army badges books of the first war, it is said that there is no insignia for the 111 Mahar. After searching on google, I found this paragraph written in 2012 by R S Sawdekar. I quote:
During the First World War - Mahar 111 was introduced and on cap badge "Kore" and "Gaon" was written on both sides of the Koregaon Pillar showing in the center, And at the bottom of the Pillar "Mahar" was written, while shoulders were shown with figure "111" and at the bottom was written "Mahar". This was with Mahar's unit from 1914 to 1918.

I have a badge that looks like this. Here are the photos.
Badge of collar or cap badge?

Old 07-12-17, 06:03 PM

I think it was also worn in WW2 until it became a Machine Gun Regiment and it changed its badge.
Regards
Sean
Old 07-12-17, 09:28 PM

I have this this picture, which I found somewhere on the internet.

I "think" that it was about the 1941 Mahar Regiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg MaharRegt-plak.jpeg (54.6 KB, 38 views)

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 08-12-17, 02:35 PM

Probably a cap badge, IMO. many IA cap badges were quite samll by British standards and collars were not nearly as common, except for officers, and not worn in WWI by enlisted men at all, I don't think.
Old 14-12-17, 07:22 AM

Actually, this information is incorrect. The badge illustrated is the badge adopted when the Mahar Regt was raised in Second World War and NOT in the first World War. The First World War badge worn by 111th Mahars appears in Ashok Nath's book Sowars and Sepoys in the Great War, namely a wreath surmounted with a Tudor Crown within the wreath MAHAR and 111 superimposed on it. The Mahar Regt later in WW2 became an MG regt and the badge was accordingly changed.
Old 14-12-17, 01:40 PM

Well done, Piffer. I should have checked in Nath!
Old 07-01-19, 08:06 AM

Default Info on this badge

This badge was designed by one of their officers, a Captain Edward E. L. Mortelmans who was an artist and illustrator in civilian life. He was my uncle, and the first badge was struck in silver and he sent it to my mother, his sister, who wore it as a brooch occasionally. I still have that silver one in my possession, and it is one of my most prized souvenirs for both my mother and my uncle. Sadly, neither of them is still with us.
As an aside to this, Edward Mortelmans went on to illustrate books for Gerald Durrell and Edgar Rice-Burroughs among many others.
Old 17-06-21, 04:20 PM

That badge was designed during WW2 by my uncle, Capt. E. E. L. Mortelmans. I have the first one which was made in solid silver, and he sent it to my mother as a brooch.
Old 19-06-21, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphoto View Post
This badge was designed by one of their officers, a Captain Edward E. L. Mortelmans who was an artist and illustrator in civilian life. ... As an aside to this, Edward Mortelmans went on to illustrate books for Gerald Durrell and Edgar Rice-Burroughs.
Reading Durell's books on animal collecting, with the wonderful illustrations, convinced me, as a teen, that I wanted to be a veteranairian. I still have those books!

Peter