British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-06-21, 08:15 PM

Here's a picture of London Scottish on a piece of Hodden Grey that was sent to me by the regiment.

Terry
Old 17-06-21, 11:12 AM

Gents,

apologies for not answering this thread but it slipped through my radar.

Reid, thanks for the image of the RHF piper TOS, I'll amend the sheet to reflect that.

Also thanks Mike, Mark and Terry for the info and pics, it's much appreciated.

I'll update the tartan guide with the info I have. If anyone would like a copy for reference please drop me a message and I'll send one through.

Regards, Bill
Old 25-06-21, 11:17 PM

Not a problem, Bill!

I will take a look at your guide and see if I have any others that are not accounted for yet.

Cheers

Reid
Old 26-06-21, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid10 View Post
Bill,

I am a new member to the forum and saw your question regarding RHF Pipers wearing their distinctive cap badge on a Red Erskine flash for their TOS. I know I am about 11 years too late.

I have a RHF Piper's Tam with Red Erskine tartan backing (see attached images).* There is a hole in the flash at the same place as on the Tam flash worn by the rest of the regiment.* Because of this, and the lack of two holes for lugs, it is likely the Pipers wore a white hackle on their TOS*(which I added). The TOS itself is very well made (1960s/70s?). Unfortunately it is missing the POM.

I hope this helps your project, though you are probably long finished!* I enjoy your site and use it to help me identify and look for new Scottish headgear to add to my collection. I started collecting when I was at Aberdeen Uni and continued collecting after joining the Army (U.S.).

Respectfully,

Reid
Not a lot to do with tartans, but an ex-NCO of 1 RHF who I used to work with told me that their Tams were tailored and shaped by the battalions tailor, battalions wearing different shapes.
As I recall, the 1st Battalion's Tams were worn with the sides raised and a fore and aft dip.
Old 05-12-21, 01:54 PM

Default Rose Hunting Tartan Formerly Worn on 105 RRA Tam O’Shanter

Bill,

I recently received an officer TOS from a Captain in the 105 Regiment Royal Artillery. (I exchanged my beret, unit patch, and unit coin for his TOS, cap badge and TRF) Attached is a picture of the Ross Hunting tartan worn as a badge backing on the TOS.

I am very lucky to have the TOS and feel I received the better deal in the trade. I say this because the Captain told me the 105 RRA stopped wearing the TOS in 2019 out of concern it would offend the Northern Irish members of the Regiment. The justification was that the Black and Tans also wore the TOS. The unit now wears the ubiquitous blue beret with RA cap badge.

Hope this helps with your project.

Reid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7B7B7FBB-5C0D-424D-AEDF-837608575A8A.jpg (120.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-12-21, 08:07 PM

Thanks Reid,

I actually also have a 105 TOS which I acquired recently but didn't know they'd stopped wearing them.

I have added this to my guide which, unfortunately I have not done much with recently, so will have to resurrect the project.

Thanks again, Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210911_202535.jpg (69.7 KB, 29 views)