British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-07-12, 05:21 PM

Default ATFERO / Ferry Command /Transport Command

Some shots of my father-in-law's badges and medals. I posted them to PhotoBucket with a dedicated link as I never have much luck trying to post to the forums. Here is the link:
http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/u.../FerryCommand/

The Ferry Command badge is marked "SCULLY LTD / MONTREAL" in two lines on the reverse of the crown

The Transport Command half wing - he was an RO- is marked "MURPHY / STERLING" and a hallmark I can't make out .

The ATFERO badge says "J.B. GAUNT" & "STERLING" either side of the post fastener. All 3 have post fasteners with the appropriate screw discs.

As I indicated in an earlier post, I'd like to be able to put a ball park figure on the set so that I can get them insured. Any help in that area or any general comments much appreciated.

As you can imagine, Lawson's service is a source of great pride to the family. I discovered only recently that prior to the outbreak of WWII there had been less than 100 attempts to fly across the Atlantic, of which hald succeeded. I know from Lawson's comments and some reading that the casualty rate among aircraft and crews of Ferry Command was very high and in the memorial book dedicated to the Radio Officers of Ferry Command far too many of the names are listed as "Silent Key".

Peter Monahan
Old 04-07-12, 10:02 AM
Banned

All sounds very tantalising, but for me the link just takes me to photobucket, and a note, 'user not found'. Can you try again, love to see them?
Old 04-07-12, 11:28 AM

Link only to photobucket nothing else

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 04-07-12, 11:54 AM

Same problem earlier, I thought it was just my phone playing up again.
Old 04-07-12, 11:35 PM

Right, let's try this one then: http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/petemonahan/

Peter
Old 04-07-12, 11:36 PM

Yes, that's done it.

Ignore the dog. He's not part of the group!

Peter
Old 05-07-12, 12:03 AM

Some VERY special badges! Very Nice
Old 05-07-12, 01:28 AM
Banned

Peter, Ferry Command later became Transport Command, although the changes to the insignia was minimal.

The FC cap badge came in three types - unmarked chrome, maker marked chrome and maker marked silver. Yours looks like the second of the two. They are not exceptionally rare, generally selling for about £85.00.

The wings were all maker marked silver. Being the later Transport Command its a little less than the equivalent FC, worth about £120.00.

The ATFERO (Atlantic Ferry Organisation) badge is scarce but was, I believe a civilian dress lapel badge. Generally worth about £85.00.

I'd be interested in seeing the uniforms...
Old 05-07-12, 11:53 AM

SAS1

Thanks for the info. Just what I need to get insurance and peace of mind. I'm up to my b*** in alligators this week but I'll try to post the uniforms a.s.a.p. Lawson was merchant marine, employed by Marconi as a Radio Operator on the SS Pensilva, a tramp steamer. Torpedoed off England very early in the war, came home to Canada and manned an emergency airfield for the Commonwealth Air Training Plan in northern Ontario, where he met and married his wife, then to ATFERO in 41-42 [need to check that] and on the FC/TC where he sevred till early 1945.

So, the uniforms I have are a merchant marine RO's tunic and cap, blue winter RAF uniform with RAF buttons, one with RAFFC buttons and a summer dress with RAF buttons, all with RO insignia. I also have the certificate of service from Ferry / Transport Command, the three medals and a book with photos of all the ROs, incluidng the list of 'Silent Keys'. The family has photo albums and letters and two 11"x14" shots of aircraft covered with signatures of men he flew with, which I think I will get for the group collection too.

Thanks again for your propmt response and useful info.!

Peter
Old 05-07-12, 01:55 PM
Banned

Peter

The Ferry and Transport Comand boys seem to have worn a mish mash of uniform throughout. The summer uniform was identical to the RCAF summer tunic but with RAF TC or FC buttons on. I have such a tunic, the rank lace around the cuff being the most noticable as its similar to RAF but specific to FC and TC. The person who wore my RAFTC uniform was previously RAFFC, but that tunic is US Air Force, with matching cap and RAFFC insignia.

The winter uniform was double breasted, similar to an airline pilots. I have a photo of a man, probably a Radio op but he displays no rank and only what looks like a wireless ops 'fist and sparks' badge on the sleeve.

They also had battledress in navy blue and I know a few of those floating about. All seem to have been private purchase or uniform worn in previous service, aside from the RCAF type summer uniform for the RAFTC previously mentioned.

The half wings can be found with both pin back and screw posts, and made by Murphy or Scully's. If you have time, and would allow us, I'd like to see a good uniform shot because of the mixture that seems to have been worn.

All the best
Old 05-07-12, 08:48 PM

I'll try to get shots of the uniforms and also some period photos of Lawson wearing them. I gather from something I read that, although the ROs at least were civilian employees tyhere was concern that getting shot down/landing in enemy held territory would be a problem if they were not in military uniforms, so my guess is that at first they were given the insignis and told to wear it on whatever uniforms were available and only later received RAF uniforms.

I'll have to go to the closet to see what exactly I have but certainly at least one tunic has RAFFC or RAFTC butons - can't recall which - and all, I think, have the arm stripes of an RO.
Old 05-07-12, 09:58 PM
Banned

Hi Peter

Well when RAFFC began they were all civilians. Only later as it expanded and became RAFTC did is start to add service personnel too. Most were airline pilots, bush pilots, and the like and its possible they just decided to wear their former uniforms for the reason you say. I dont know if they were 'issued', or given an allowance to start with, and many might simply have wanted to avoid the cost!

I have some early photos of RAFFC and they are all wearing tan shirt and trousers, black tie and navy blue peaked cap, with the very early RAF style cloth RAFFC wing and Bullion cap badge. I believe all of the records were lost or destroyed soon after the war, and so finding info is very hard.
Old 06-07-12, 02:09 PM

I'm basing the comment about uniforms on something I read on the Web, not the best source unless confirmation is available, so the explanation may be based on research or, like some of my ideas, on pure speculation though the notion that the Germans would find civilians flying armed forces aircraft a 'problem' seems logical enough.

Off to a 3 day music festival. Working, not listening. More photos to follow.

Cheers
Peter
Old 09-06-21, 10:31 PM

Default RAF ferry command wing on the way

I wanted to revisit this thread which already has some of the primary material I'm alluding to, referenced. I have finally, after 12 plus years of searching, found a RAF ferry command Sterling wing with perfect enamel additionally.

I have searched diligently for information on the Hallmark which I do not want to take a picture of directly if I don't have to, collectors know why. I would like to know if anyone has information on Murphy Sterling as a manufacturer of insignia and jewelry in Canada? I am trying to do a write-up on these transport and ferry command wings. Thank you so much for any information you can pass on about Murphy Sterling mark
Old 10-06-21, 02:38 AM

Nope, neither link worked for me! Maybe cause I'm in the US???

Terry