British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-21, 09:11 AM

Default Royal Signals/Cheshire Yeomanry

Spotted some uniforms in a local Antique Centre ( no intention of buying them) which I thought were interesting and raised a few Questions.

The Royal Signals Battledress is badge 42 Lancashire Division and I wonder if the No1 dress uniform might have belonged to the same officer. It has Cheshire Yeomanry buttons, shoulder chains and a RCoS badged cap with it.

I would have expected any Cheshire Yeomanry officer to have worn a Cheshire Yeomanry cap badge but would that necessarily have been the case?

Any thoughts appreciated.

P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2EFBA48-A513-4477-854A-1DFFC8B0B1DE.jpg (86.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg F8E677D5-942E-4C1F-9120-F702FE1A2A1A.jpg (58.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 25499563-D10E-41BB-BD71-53688F72657A.jpg (57.6 KB, 53 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-06-21, 09:58 AM

Don't know if this would be relevent :

Quote:
The Cheshire Yeomanry was reformed as cavalry in 1920 and remained such until 1942. At the outbreak of the Second World War they served in the Middle East and were one of the last regiments to fight on horseback. After losing their horses in 1942 they became a Signals Regiment serving in the Middle East, England and North West Europe.
The Regiment was again reformed and equipped with tanks on May Day 1947 and in 1958 they were allocated Daimler armoured cars.
https://www.cheshiremilitarymuseum.c...hire-yeomanry/

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-06-21, 10:10 AM

Certainly from mid 80's onwards this is how 80 Sigs dressed. Never saw an officer in blues, but both us (C Sqn QOY) & 80 Sigs were on parade for remembrance Sunday in N02's.
Old 16-06-21, 11:13 AM

Thanks Mike and RO,

RO was the Yeomanry cap badge always worn in 80 Signals ?

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-06-21, 11:29 AM

Sorry i confused the issue. The fox badge was worn by the The Cheshire Yeomanry squadron of the QOY. 80 Sigs wore the R/Sigs capbadge, Cheshire Yeomanry collar badges. Not sure about the buttons to be honest.

During the last war the Cheshire yeomanry converted to Sigs. Thats the reason we had an RAC Sqn and a Sigs Sqn.
Old 16-06-21, 11:35 AM

May be a bit of a red herring - you probably already know more than me about it Peter - but the TA Signals (and Cadets) based in Abbots Park Chester - were based in the old Yeo Depot there. When we were 11 year old cadets my twin and I were given a tour of the then closed Cheshire Yeomanry museum there. The silver was eyewatering. We went to the R Marine Cadets as soon as old enough down at Crane Wharf (12 or 13 from memory, you had to be a year older than Army Cadet entry). Great cadet band at Abbots Park, but not our thing. ATC were there as well.

I wonder if this provides some Yeo / Signals link - although badges a mystery. Probably all irrelevant, but you stimulated memories ...
Old 16-06-21, 03:56 PM

Thanks RO and Mike B,

I knew about the Cheshire Yeomanry converting to R C of S in WW2 in fact a Manchester based collector long passed was in the Yeomanry in WW2 and was issued with a Cheshire imperial Yeomanry cap badge, can’t remember his name but he did write about the badge in an edition of Crown Imperial.

Mike didn’t know about the Yeomanry Museum, I presume all the contents now in The Castle Museum. Many years ago the Yeomanry had a temporary exhibition of all their silver etc displayed at Tabley Hall and incredibly impressive it was. ( must have a catch up very soon)

Peter

Old 16-06-21, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Thanks RO and Mike B,

I knew about the Cheshire Yeomanry converting to R C of S in WW2 in fact a Manchester based collector long passed was in the Yeomanry in WW2 and was issued with a Cheshire imperial Yeomanry cap badge, can’t remember his name but he did write about the badge in an edition of Crown Imperial.

Mike didn’t know about the Yeomanry Museum, I presume all the contents now in The Castle Museum. Many years ago the Yeomanry had a temporary exhibition of all their silver etc displayed at Tabley Hall and incredibly impressive it was. ( must have a catch up very soon)

Peter
If I recall correctly, the Caretaker of the Museum, still living on site at the time, was a 'Mr' York who dad knew. He opened the impressive building which is now the centre-piece of the housing development there. You are right, it was absolutely decades ago - the Cheshire Military Museum now has most of the pieces I would imagine. Goodness knows how many tens of stones of silver there must have been - but we only have to recall the Cheshire Gentry who passed through the Cheshire Yeomanry ... a meet up would be great! best wishes from us to you both.
Old 17-06-21, 03:49 PM

Found the CI article on Royal Signals badges by Albert Osborne. I was wrong he wasn’t issued with a Cheshire I.Y. Badge in WW2 but one was being worn by a Despatch Rider.

Still an interesting article.

P.

Old 17-06-21, 06:17 PM

Many thanks for posting - CI was a very interesting Group in its day - a shame it folded. Please do not go to any trouble, but can you recall the date or issue number the article was in please?
Old 17-06-21, 06:50 PM

Mike,

It’s back in the attic now but will get you the details over the next few days.

Do you remember Albert, he was at all the Fairs at one time.

Peter

Old 17-06-21, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Mike,

It’s back in the attic now but will get you the details over the next few days.

Do you remember Albert, he was at all the Fairs at one time.

Peter
Name rings a bell Peter, just can't put a face to the name. No need to go back to the attic specially, please don't go to any trouble.