British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-21, 10:32 AM

Default Whats in the tin !

Like, i'm sure, many other members of this forum, I seem to spend an awful lot of time in Antiques Centres, at markets and car boot sales looking for that elusive military item. On one of my regular trips around the local antiques centres a couple of weeks ago, I called in at one of the smaller centres (where in the past i've picked up the odd cap badge) and asked the usual question as to whether they have any medals or cap badges. For once , the owner's wife said "we picked up a tin full of stuff out a house clearance last week". The tin wasn't at the centre but the owner promised to bring it in for me to look at last Friday. Friday came and a little excited,I rang the centre to be told by the owner that he'd been busy all week and had forgotten to bring the stuff in - i'm sure we've all been there at some time.
Eventually , last Monday, the tin arrived for me to have a look through. I wasn't disappointed. I made an offer and bought the lot.
Here's the tin - enjoy !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4054.jpg (71.2 KB, 134 views)
Old 16-06-21, 10:35 AM

No clues from the scratched out name................come on then, let's see the goodies!

Simon.
Old 16-06-21, 10:45 AM

Here are the contents !
The items were collected by a Gunner Ken Armstrong who appears to have served with various Royal Artillery units in Italy under command of the 1st Armoured Division between 1943 and 1948. It seems that he was a bit of a badge collector and has scrounged badges off other soldiers that he served with. There is a nice representative selection of cloth badges worn in the Italian Theatre as well as in the UK. The lot includes a couple of photographs of him as well as his diaries from 1943 until 1948 and lots of other bits of ephemera. There are a few metal badges amongst the lot, the RA cap badge was probably his, the York & Lancaster cap badge almost certainly belonged to his father (amongst the lot is his father's named WW1 period bible inscribed with his service details showing him to have served with 2nd Battalion York & Lancs), The Lincolns cap badge and officers button are a bit of a mystery as is the officers bronze Leicesters cap badge. The WW1 medals were awarded to a Private Watson who served with the 12th (Pioneer) Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters - I can't find any connection to Gunner Armstrong. Gunner Armstong's WW2 service medals are also part of the lot (although they are un-named as awarded).
Sadly there is nothing amongst the lot that fits with any of my collecting themes so all will be for disposal. Naturally all the documentation will remain with his medals as will a number of badges that I can tie directly to his service.

Just goes to show that there are still these boxes of treasure out there

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4047.jpg (85.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4049.jpg (83.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4050.jpg (97.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4051.jpg (88.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4052.jpg (82.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4053.jpg (79.8 KB, 73 views)
Old 16-06-21, 10:51 AM

Paul,

Well done, a lovely lot with plenty of scope for research. As you say, treasure still out there, just need a bit of luck and plenty of patience!

Simon.
Old 16-06-21, 11:03 AM

Amazing!
Old 16-06-21, 11:07 AM
MarkGD

Nicely done! Regards Mark
Old 16-06-21, 11:14 AM

What a very interesting and most satisfying find!

Purely out of interest - this is what should be on the tin (scratched off) or very similar anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210616_120808.jpg (53.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20210616_120747.jpg (64.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 16-06-21, 11:20 AM

Is the AGRA (image 4) staying with the medals?

Marc
Old 16-06-21, 12:08 PM

Nice pick up Paul - Gunner Armstrong certainly had good taste and/or kept good company - a Lincolnshire and a Leicestershire badge, cheers Dean
Old 17-06-21, 11:45 AM

Well done Paul,

There is stuff still out there, just needs getting out and about and finding it.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”