British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-20, 11:13 AM

It would be nice to have some feedback from Steve on some of the above posts.
Old 05-01-20, 01:34 PM

That would be a "stock" photograph then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
...or the seller has more than one...
Old 05-01-20, 09:11 PM

There probably won't be any replies especially now that the item has sold.

As I said earlier. If the badge is a fake then the buyer (swende) was conned and has now (knowingly or unknowingly) conned someone else.

I believe both the badge and the shoulder title that was listed and then taken down are both fakes.
It then opens a wider story regarding the original seller and whether Steve then knew after reading comments on this forum, that the items were fakes but decided to continue selling it as original.
Old 18-01-20, 01:38 PM

Agreed, whilst not against the rules for a member here to sell fakes elsewhere, there certainly are moral issues to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
There probably won't be any replies especially now that the item has sold.

As I said earlier. If the badge is a fake then the buyer (swende) was conned and has now (knowingly or unknowingly) conned someone else.

I believe both the badge and the shoulder title that was listed and then taken down are both fakes.
It then opens a wider story regarding the original seller and whether Steve then knew after reading comments on this forum, that the items were fakes but decided to continue selling it as original.
Old 20-01-20, 05:26 PM

I find the lack of feedback from Steve quite disappointing.
Old 21-01-20, 07:46 AM

It was good of Steve in post #3 to show some nice pictures of LRDG badges, but without seeing the backs, I can only guess they are die cast or possibly die stamped, which if so, it is not really a fair comparison to identify a genuine cast LRDG badge that would have been produced in Egypt during WW2.

For those who do not have the book "Kiwi Scorpions," it is believed the first issues of the official LRDG badge were cast.

Does anyone have a picture of a genuine WW2 Cast LRDG badge they can offer up for comparison?
Old 21-01-20, 04:23 PM

I have personally seen and handled the LRDG badge (referred to at the start of this thread) when it was in South Africa. I am of the opinion that it is an original cast badge. Unfortunately, at some time a file has been taken to it.

There is a photo of such a badge in the ANZAC ELITE book by C Lord & J Tennant on page 122, LRDG section no. 606.

Edy Cardoso
Old 21-01-20, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edyc7 View Post
I have personally seen and handled the LRDG badge (referred to at the start of this thread) when it was in South Africa. I am of the opinion that it is an original cast badge. Unfortunately, at some time a file has been taken to it.

There is a photo of such a badge in the ANZAC ELITE book by C Lord & J Tennant on page 122, LRDG section no. 606.

Edy Cardoso
The badge is an absolute fake and you wouldn’t have viewed this badge before the 1970s when that fake die was cut. The badge straight out the Martin Marsh fake catalogue, number 606.

Before the links in the OP dies I’ve added pictures of these fakes from the listings in question for posterity. Also a picture from the MM catalogue of the identical badge you could buy by the bucket load.

As for the badge appearing it a book, I’ll wager it was published in or after the 1970s? Unfortunately many books in the hobby contain images of fake badges.

There are plenty of images (front and back) of good LRDG badges on here in threads and albums. https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=318
Old 21-01-20, 09:00 PM

The badge that started this thread is clearly not the same as the Martin Marsh fake that has been depicted.

The fake has circles on the head , different checkerboard pattern on the thorax and into the abdomen and also the LRDG letters differ substantially.

I have examined a few of these badges and the original cast badges do not have the deliberate rough artificial finishing in the outer circle that all the fakes show.

Edy
Old 21-01-20, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edyc7 View Post
The badge that started this thread is clearly not the same as the Martin Marsh fake that has been depicted.

The fake has circles on the head , different checkerboard pattern on the thorax and into the abdomen and also the LRDG letters differ substantially.

I have examined a few of these badges and the original cast badges do not have the deliberate rough artificial finishing in the outer circle that all the fakes show.

Edy
It’s a poor cast copy made from the Martin Marsh FAKE and has lost detail in the casting process. It’s also lost a bit of one of its legs too. But it is still 100% FAKE.

The outer rim has been filed off that badge. You can clearly see the file marks and scratches round the rim.
Old 22-01-20, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
It’s a poor cast copy made from the Martin Marsh FAKE and has lost detail in the casting process. It’s also lost a bit of one of its legs too. But it is still 100% FAKE.

The outer rim has been filed off that badge. You can clearly see the file marks and scratches round the rim.
Hi Luke, are you able to provide a picture of a known "Martin Marsh FAKE" LRDG badge?

The link you provided in post #23 shows a die-cast LRDG badge which was the last variation to be worn by the LRDG before it was disbanded. Interestingly Shaun, the owner of that particular badge, had several other variations of LRDG badges, including an early die-stamped LRDG badge with touching tail, which is now in the hands of another forum member.
Old 22-01-20, 06:48 PM
Banned

Touching tail can be good but in this case it is not

Top Martin Marsh
Bottom EBay badge in original post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6D24E00-3B01-4C68-A43E-211FC5D9AECA.jpg (78.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 22-01-20, 06:50 PM
Banned

Sloping R and filed between R and D

Left EBay from original post
Right Martin Marsh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8C5B7CFE-5212-42F5-B34B-44A881917EAC.jpg (79.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 22-01-20, 06:52 PM
Banned

Steve’s badge from this thread...a good touching tail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F10C66F1-B761-4937-8C08-E18A51E16151.jpg (35.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 22-01-20, 08:33 PM

The desert cast badges are smaller (33mm) than the fake ,reproduction ones.

The scorpions on the two badges do not even match. On the fake badges the horizontal abdominal lines always overlap the vertical ones which is anatomically incorrect. The opposite is true for the cast badges and the central line extends completely through the cephalothorax widely splitting it .
Closed Thread