British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-08, 02:17 PM

I am sure that you are correct John & I cannot speak with any degree of authority on RM badges as they are out of my line, but I do know that the RN/RCN CPO rate badges were 'opposites' when worn on the tunic lapels.
I have never seen anything that indicated that RN Gunnery rates 'changed direction' & rate badges for the RN were always worn on the right sleeve.

Here att'd is another small snapshot of a RM Gunnery Sergt wearing above his Sergt's chevrons the RN Gunners Mate rate badge (appears identical to the GM rate badge I have illustrated earlier in this thread), this photo was taken post WWII as he wears his WWII ribbons.I thought you might like to see it.

Interesting the CPO photo I showed earlier was taken very near where you live, unfortunately its not ID'd, as many that have are not.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RM Gunnery Sergt.jpg (20.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RM Gunnery Sergt close.jpg (13.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by RCN; 07-03-08 at 02:19 PM. Reason: ...
Old 07-03-08, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default Book...

Bryan, Congratulations on some very informative postings. I have learned a ton about navy badges in the last few weeks. Have you considered an article or booklet?
We all know a certain publisher in Ottawa is looking for titles.
Old 07-03-08, 03:30 PM

Hi Bryan,
A very good picture of the RM Gunnery Sgt I always try to pick up pictures when I can they make a good reference.
Royal Marines wore the same pattern badges as the Royal Navy ie
Red on Black,Gold on Black, but you will find Gunnery badges unique to the Royal Marines, and likewise with the Royal Navy.

John
Old 07-03-08, 05:37 PM

I have att'd a couple more photos John. The Gunnery Sergt is on the left of the left photo. The focus is not all that great but think you will be able to make out his Sergt chevrons & Gunnery rate badge on his right arm.

The Bandmaster in the centre of this photo, & on the left of the right photo -- I have his medals, badges, photos etc. I think the ship they are on may be HMS Sussex, I would have to check his record to be certain. Photos taken post war as they are wearing their WWII ribbons, & you can also see the BandmasterWO1 insiginia on his right cuff.

I too love the old photos & have quite a good collection, but I prefer the RPPC's from the pre war period, especially if the subject(s) have medals/insignia showing.

How about showing some of yr RM badges in the RN/RM section John? I know it would be helpful for me & perhaps others as well. I dont know much about RM badges & would like to learn.

I will show many more rates in subsequent threads as they all lead to the RCN rates of the post 1950 period.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bailey grp.jpg (21.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-03-08, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Bryan, Congratulations on some very informative postings. I have learned a ton about navy badges in the last few weeks. Have you considered an article or booklet?
We all know a certain publisher in Ottawa is looking for titles.

yes Bill I have & I have a fair amount of my research already typed in manuscript, as I started it well before I become computer literate. Other collectors at shows have told me the same thing as you. I am always 'educating' collectors at shows on RN/RCN badges! I get asked a lot of questions. Very little in print available on Rn/RCN badges.

email his details pls. I may attend the Ottawa show next month.

Nice to have the opportunity to be able to do this on a forum, & I intend to continue this series Bill, so you will learn considerably more in time. I just need the time to get it alltogether, some of my rate badges are in frames & I have to take them apart to scan them.

but I will continue...................

Bryan
Old 23-12-09, 05:16 PM

Default Guns reversed?

Hello all:
This is my first post, so I hope my interjection will be well received in the spirit of the forum.
With respect to the gunnery badges facing in opposite directions (the larger trade badges worn on the right sleeve), and with exception for the CPO lapel badges (for left and right jacket lapels), designate the fore and aft guns. eg: A and B turret; X and Y turret found on the larger ships such as cruisers to capital ships. I also have an RN gunner's badge with brown thread on tan material for the Mediterranean summer rig that I will try to post later.
Shiner