British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-15, 04:01 PM

Default Two Alberta badges, CEF and post CEF

Here are two Alberta badges that you don't see too often, the North Alberta badge on the left is post CEF, the 191st Batt. cap badge has a nice makers mark of D.E.Black.

I believe D.E.Black were makers from Lethbridge, AB.

I cant seem to find much info on the North Alberta Regt, a short lived regt. 1920 to 1936.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alberta badge.jpg (89.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Alberta badge 1.jpg (63.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Alberta badge 2.jpg (53.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 31-07-15, 05:01 PM

Hi Mike

Did the Alberta Regiment badge not first come into existence with the formation of the "Alberta Regiment" militia regiment in 1920? Later during re-designations and formation of the North Alberta Regiment and South Alberta Regiment the badge was used by both units until the NAR was disbanded and the SAR got a new badge (approx. 1936)

Regardless i like it and one day would like to get one myself.

Cheers
Chris
Old 31-07-15, 05:25 PM

You may be correct, like I said I couldn't find much on the history of the regt. in my 30+ years of collecting this was the first one I have ever found.
Old 31-07-15, 06:55 PM

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...i/SALH-eng.asp

From the above link.
"The South Alberta Regiment originated in Calgary, Alberta on 1 April 1910, when the '103rd Regiment "Calgary Rifles"' was authorized to be formed.21 On 15 March 1920 it was reorganized as two separate regiments, designated 'The Calgary Regiment' (now 'The King's Own Calgary Regiment (RCAC)' and 'The Calgary Highlanders') and 'The Alberta Regiment'.22 On 15 May 1924, it was reorganized into two separate regiments, designated 'The North Alberta Regiment' (disbanded on 1 February 1936), and 'The South Alberta Regiment'.23 On 1 April 1936, it was amalgamated with 'C Company' of the '13th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (now 'The King's Own Calgary Regiment').24 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The South Alberta Regiment' on 7 November 1940;25 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The South Alberta Regiment (MG)' on 1 April 1942;26 and 'The South Alberta Regiment' on 1 April 1946.27 On 28 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '68th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA' and the '41st Anti-Tank Regiment (Self Propelled), RCA', as above."

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.