British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-09-13, 03:19 PM

Default Commando Beret

Hello all you Commando collectors! There is Commando beret closing on ebay today.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231050186317?...#ht_360wt_1170

Cheers

Last edited by cw2311; 16-09-13 at 04:00 PM.
Old 15-09-13, 03:35 PM

Noticed this the other day, is it just me, or does it appear rather small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
Hello all you Commando collectors! There is a nice looking beret closing on ebay today.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231050186317?...#ht_360wt_1170

Cheers
Old 15-09-13, 04:39 PM

Good call Frank!

However, I have seen some slight variance in size with certain makers. I took a better look at all the pictures and I’m not 100% sure on this one. I would like a closer look at the stitching around the binding. Perhaps it’s just my computer but does the liner look hand stitched to the leather binding? It almost appears in some shots that the liner is not stitched overtop of the leather binding?

He does offer returns if you’re not satisfied, which is good. This would be one of those ones I would like to handle to get a better look at some details. Even some better pictures might do the trick.

Cheers
Old 15-09-13, 05:51 PM

What's with the red patch behind the badge? I thought this was only used on the blue beret for Marines going through basic training who weren't yet Commando qualified?

The Combined Ops patch sewn on the beret looks original. All a bit of a mystery.

Paul
Old 15-09-13, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3battalion View Post
What's with the red patch behind the badge? I thought this was only used on the blue beret for Marines going through basic training who weren't yet Commando qualified?

The Combined Ops patch sewn on the beret looks original. All a bit of a mystery.

Paul
the blue beret for Marines going through basic training who weren't yet Commando qualified?
This is a post war thing, in WW2 the RM were not originally commando troops, some of them converted c1942/43 and wore the green beret but many branches like gunners, MNBDO, small boat and landing craft crews wore the blue beret with the red patch behind the badge. later in the war the RM Commando units received re-inforcements from these branches, many of which worked along side them.

I do not like the leather band on the ebay beret mentioned above, looks like it's been repaired or replaced
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 15-09-13, 09:26 PM

The auction closed at $610… I have no idea what a ‘fair market value’ is for a Commando beret. Can anyone comment on average price for a 1944 dated one? I would guess they are rarer than airborne berets?

Cheers
Old 15-09-13, 09:36 PM

hi guys
not good at all !!
the beret has had its linner replaced the beret well the outer green section looks like a post war comptons example note on pic 5 the straight line runiing from center to outer edge !
the leather band has been replaced and stiched on to it this is can bee seen in pics 3,7, and 8 quite clearly .
note pic 7 you can see very clearly the old stich marks below the current ones
and i would say the badge is a very new add on as theres no wear etc to the rear .
there is other things as well !! that are wrong !!
steve

Last edited by ASR142; 15-09-13 at 09:44 PM.
Old 16-09-13, 12:17 AM

Hi Lee,

Thanks for answering my question.

Looks like the consensus is that this is a made up a beret.

Paul
Old 16-09-13, 02:38 PM

Sure glad I didn't buy that one based on the enthusiastic "alert" in post 1.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 16-09-13, 03:52 PM

Not one that you would want to buy, it just looked so wrong, but, the size really got me, it just looked so, well, small really!
Old 16-09-13, 04:10 PM

I think whilst they may be hard to find, it really depends on what, if anything, is on the beret concerned, if its just a basic issue beret, then an airborne 1944, would, I feel, go for much more money these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
The auction closed at $610… I have no idea what a ‘fair market value’ is for a Commando beret. Can anyone comment on average price for a 1944 dated one? I would guess they are rarer than airborne berets?

Cheers
Old 16-09-13, 04:45 PM

Interesting to read in the auction description who the original seller of the beret was.

Des
Old 16-09-13, 05:09 PM

Interesting Des,

I guess that beret was just sold from person to person and taken at face value as being legit. Live and learn I guess.
Old 16-09-13, 08:18 PM

Hope the buyer gets a second opinion or discovers the problem, as to be fair to the seller he is offering a money back guarantee less postage for up to 14 days.

Jack