British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-11-12, 12:16 PM

Default India Corps of Signals Drum Major's badge

Dear All.

A little help if at all possible.

I have recently purchased this badge which is Bullion as can be seen and is 4.5 inches tall.

The device is said to have been worn by the Drum Major of the Indian Corps of Signals band on his right sleeve very much like british drum majors.

I purchsed this from a very well known Forum member who knows I am requesting further information.

I have absolutely no reason to think it is not what it is said to be but would like some further information if there is anybody able to assist.

According to the internet there are some 50 Bands and 400 Pipe Bands in the current Indian Military.

Any information at all would be much appreciated. I will be adding this badge to my web site in the future but would like to know a little more.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indian Corps of Signals Drum Major badge 002.jpg (73.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 18-01-13, 03:10 PM

I am surprised that Terry (Lampick) hasn't replied to this one

Phil
Old 18-01-13, 03:34 PM

It looks good to me, Chris. The Indian Army Signal Corps does use the star atop their badge, rather than the Lions of Ashoka, which would have been my only concern.

The clincher, of course, would be to find someone who can translate the Deva Nagri script on the badge. Ed Haynes at 'SAGongs' has a lot of expertise in this area. Perhaps he can help in that regard.

A lovely thing!
Peter
Old 18-01-13, 03:42 PM

This URL says on a sash which seems to be yellow or gold

http://www.signalsbadges.co.uk/Asia/...irca_1980s.htm

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 18-01-13 at 03:50 PM.
Old 18-01-13, 03:49 PM

This picture dated 2011 is at 1 STC, Jabalpur on a 'drill instructers' sash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SASH.jpg (88.0 KB, 34 views)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 18-01-13, 04:20 PM

Default Drum Major India Corps of Signals.

Dear Mike.

Many thanks for the reply.

The URL you have put on this Thread is from my own web site. The yellow badge that is shown is from the Cross Sash of the Indian Ciorps of Signals Pipe Band taken in 2011.

I have seen the Cross Sashes that you show from the Drill Seargeant and the chap sitting next to him with a slightly different "Jimmy" badge and no word Drill underneath. Also taken in 2011.

I believe there are several Sashes worn with Jimmy on it depending on what function the wearer did. Hence my thought that the badge in question was a Cross Sash badge in the first place.

My query was that this badge dated back to the 1980's and not current so I am unsure.

In the case of the badge I used in my little web site I have made it clear that I am unaware of the exact use of this badge back in the 1980's.

My actual belief is that it is the Drum Major's Cross Sach badge and not a badge worn on the sleeve.

I am more than happy to change the write up if someone can come up with a better suggestion. The only thing I know for sure is when it was purchased by a Canadian Diplomat serving in Delhi in the 1980's and his thought that is was the Indian Corps of Signals Drum Major's badge at that time.

The quality of the badge is excellent made of bullion and silk.

Many thanks for your input Mike.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 18-01-13, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I am surprised that Terry (Lampick) hasn't replied to this one

Phil
It's a bit modern for me Phil. The Jimmy looks more like the Pillsbury Doughboy than the normal Jimmy.
Old 19-01-13, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
The clincher, of course, would be to find someone who can translate the Deva Nagri script on the badge. Ed Haynes at 'SAGongs' has a lot of expertise in this area. Perhaps he can help in that regard.

A lovely thing!
Peter
The internet reveals that the motto of the Indian Army's Signal Corps is "Teevra Chaukas" and that is what is on the badge तीव्र चौकस.

It translates as "Swift and Secure".

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 19-01-13, 02:50 PM

Default Indian Corps of Signals badge.

Dear Henk and Lampwisk.

Spot on with the motto in Deva Nagri scrip which is the current motto of the Indian Corps of Signals which translates to Teevra Chaukas or in english Swift and Sure/Secure.

This motto superseeded the original motto which was on the original Indian Signal Corps badge in 1947 and was Tez O Sahih and was changed in 1949 to the current motto.

I think I am going to change the write up I have used in my little web site to more accurately explain this bullion badge. I will keep the photo of the Indian Corps of Signals Pipe Band Drum Major wearing a yellow version on his cross sash and add the photo of the two Instructors from 1 STC wearing slightly different badges on their cross sashes.

If anyone has a better photo of these two instructors I would be most grateful for a copy to use.

Very many thanks for the assistance on this Thread gentlemen it is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.sighanlsbadges.co.uk
Old 24-01-13, 03:41 PM

Default Indian corps of signals cross sash badge

Dear Mike, Phil, Terry, Henk and all.

As mentioned above, I have changed the write up I used for the Indian Signals Bullioun badge.

If anyone is interested please have a little look at my little web site www.signalsbadges.co.uk in the Asia Section. Scroll down until you come to the large embroidered Indian Signals badge. Click on it and you will see my new write up and the two photos attached underneath.

Enjoy.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 24-01-13, 04:13 PM

Even without the improvements you did, it was already an impressive web-site. I stumbled earlier into it (you never know where you end up when you start to Google ), but it is very nice that I now have contact with it's master and can pay compliments.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 25-01-13, 04:06 PM

Yes, great web site, Chris.
Old 25-01-13, 09:48 PM

Great site Chris, a great reference.

Can I ask where you got the background material from - would like to use it for my own framing.

Cheers,

Andy C