British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-22, 06:48 PM

Default 47 NATO Pilots Course, 1953, felt patch

This arrived today as I thought it looked interesting: felt patch for 47 NATO Pilots Course, 1953, measuring 11.3 x 12.2cm. I'm guessing the aircraft shown is an F86 Sabre? I'm unable to decipher the writing at the bottom, any ideas please? As always any information will be gratefully received.

Usual caveat that it will be offered for exchange or sale in due course once my curiosity is satisfied.

Thanks for looking

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76B4DF19-0AA4-4BC4-9229-8810234E48EB (2).jpg (100.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 0A1A9D77-F7E4-4C32-A08D-7897DA7FECA7 (2).jpg (87.8 KB, 8 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 11-01-22, 08:11 PM

Hi Graham. An interesting find. I’ll throw out the possibility that it was made for a graduating course in the first half of 1953 when Gimli was designated as No. 2 FTS (Flight Training School). They were using Harvards at the time.

I’m quite certain the patch isn’t made by Crest Craft, based on the quality. A guess on the motto might be, “OCTIMI GIMLITANI”; a sort of a meaningless pig Latin to emulate many other motto's found on Commonwealth Squadron insignia. I don’t have a guess why, “OCT” unless it was the 8th course offered at 2 FTS that year. The “47” might be the number of the course offered since inception of 2FTS at Gimli. There are patches numbered in the 30's in 1952 for example. At 47, it would near to the last course offered there before the Unit moved to Moose Jaw in mid 53.

Perhaps others will have additional insight.
Old 11-01-22, 08:39 PM

Thank you Zorgon, most interesting and much appreciated.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 08-02-22, 08:45 PM

Default Similar patch 1953

Hello,

Interesting thread as in December 2021 I purchased a similar kind of patch.

See attached images.

It almost looks if the patch was produced as a test, although handcrafted there will always be differences.

A former pilot who trained in Canada in 1956 told me that sometimes only 3 or 10 patches were created.

Kind regards,
Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953-front.jpg (71.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 1953-back.jpg (77.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-02-22, 05:47 PM

Thank you Fred, nice to see another, sometimes badges are like buses .

All the best

Graham