British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-22, 07:24 AM

Default Oxfordshire Medals DNW auction

I see DNW are selling a collection of medals from the 'Soldiers of Oxfordshire' museum today. I wonder if these have been bought by the museum using their own funds or donated by families. If the latter I feel they should be donated to another museum rather than being sold on. I understand that the private museum may need the funds but that is not why families donate to them
Old 23-02-22, 07:32 AM

Already well covered on the British medals forum, and the reason I will NEVER donate anything in my collection to a museum.

I am afraid the clue is in the word ‘donated’, once handed over you have no say over the item.
T
Old 23-02-22, 04:57 PM

An issue known of over here. If a family donates something to certain museums they are required to sign a document that basically says they understand the item may be sold, given away or otherwise disposed of if not deemed required at any time.

Then there was the chap who was working at a museum, but regularly walking out the door with items and selling them to unsuspecting buyers. One item got the buyer curious so he contacted the museum to ask about it....and you can guess what happened after that.

Terry
Old 23-02-22, 07:50 PM

That apparently happened at the Iwm, someone used to take out items out a back door doubling his pay every week and then started taking things that could be identified and only coming from there.
Old 24-02-22, 09:47 AM

Seems to be a sadly familiar story worldwide. A large "private" museum claiming, amongst other things, to have the largest collection of chamber pots in the world (I suppose somebody has to...) was sold up.

Militaria was not greatly in evidence but many items of ethnological interest were and some had been loaned, not gifted.

Very unpleasant all round I'm told....
Old 24-02-22, 05:46 PM

One of the saddest stories is when the Billy Bishop Museum had his medals on display for a celebration and someone nipped them. Obviously they would never be able to let anybody know they have them, so why take them. I don't know if they ever got returned or not as I lost touch with my contact there.

Terry
Old 24-02-22, 07:52 PM

The donated medals should be sent to another museum, not sold ! IMHO shocking behaviour.....
Andy
Old 28-02-22, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
The donated medals should be sent to another museum, not sold ! IMHO shocking behaviour.....
Andy
Unfortunately they can get away with it. A few years ago a lot of DLI items appeared on the market. From a similar source im told.
Old 28-02-22, 04:31 PM

Recently (as recently as yesterday) some Royal Signals insignia with "Royal Signals Museum" and reference and date of donation / aquistion labels have been appearing on ebay, presumably surplus to requirements and being sold off.