British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-05-22, 01:07 PM

Default Commando shoulder patch WW2?

Hi. Anyone any ideas from what period in WW2 this badge was used. Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D24CCBDF-6B90-4915-9FE2-05DD646FA38C.jpg (44.0 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by gasman; 02-06-22 at 09:35 PM.
Old 31-05-22, 02:17 PM

looks WW2 to me ,loose stitching etc...but note some loss to front. Still a scarce badge,
regards steve
Old 31-05-22, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Hi. Anyone any ideas of originality or period used. Regards
Pretty sure someone has asked my opinion on this particular example of second pattern No.4 Cdo title previously (Light blue and pink Special IV Service predated it I believe). Use circa 1941 ish. Not the best example as mentioned by Steve, but a nice original, looking at the back - increasingly difficult to find. Would like evidence the 'COMMANDO' embroidery part was light blue NOT WHITE - often more bluish to the reverse, front sometimes fades. One of my examples attached.
Old 31-05-22, 07:10 PM

H. many thanks you chaps for the detailed replies. The commando stitching is white and looking at the rear of the badge, between the two pieces of cloth, it has always been white. Saying that, on taking the title outside in the daylight for the very first time l can now see the light blue thread to the rear. The front has faded slightly though.

Last edited by gasman; 02-06-22 at 08:01 PM.
Old 31-05-22, 09:37 PM

Quote:
H. many thanks you chaps for the detailed replies. The commando stitching is white and looking at the rear of the badge, between the two pieces of cloth, it has always been white.
If 'COMMANDO' is white I would have some concerns despite the appearance of reasonable stitching to the reverse ... Convincing if it is not correct, but never been comfortable with a 'white one' having handled several over the years ... I did give this caution when I was asked for an opinion on what I think could have been this same badge quite recently.

It would be very interesting to hear what others think. I am always willing to learn ...

Last edited by Mike B; 31-05-22 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-06-22, 07:50 AM

Interesting stuff. I will try and attach some clearer and more detailed pictures to get a better idea. The badge came from a veteran nearly 30 years ago but really wanted some idea of dates they were worn as can’t find any pictures.
Old 01-06-22, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Interesting stuff. I will try and attach some clearer and more detailed pictures to get a better idea. The badge came from a veteran nearly 30 years ago but really wanted some idea of dates they were worn as can’t find any pictures.
Plenty of images on the Commando Veterans Association site - now renamed Commando Association I believe. They have a photo archive - look at WW2 Commandos section - 4 Cdo - you will find some.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/main.php

For example this one;

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/...4+cdo.jpg.html

NOTE - ALL IMAGES ON THE COMMANDO VETERANS WEBSITE ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.

Date precedes adoption of standard red on black titles (designations) in 1942. It was briefly preceded by SPECIAL IV SERVICE as mentioned earlier.

Hoping this helps
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 01-06-22 at 02:17 PM.
Old 24-06-22, 03:38 PM

Kind greetings.
I am so sorry to be late to this thread. Busy times.

I am happy to back up Mike who I consider the expert in this field of special forces. I support the view that the early No. 4 Commando title is light blue and pink (not red). As I put these together with other badges of red, blue and khaki it is now perhaps clearer that the Special IV Service title may also not be white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg commando4.jpg (42.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 24-06-22, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Adams View Post
Kind greetings.
I am so sorry to be late to this thread. Busy times.

I am happy to back up Mike who I consider the expert in this field of special forces. I support the view that the early No. 4 Commando title is light blue and pink (not red). As I put these together with other badges of red, blue and khaki it is now perhaps clearer that the Special IV Service title may also not be white.
Perfect examples Ian - many thanks for your very kind comments, respect reciprocated. Your images are excellent, clear, and illustrate the points well. It is easy to see how the blue is so pale that it can fade to white at the front - often more discernible light blue to the reverse.

If the badge is the same as I have had correspondence about - the new owner has confirmed separately that the letters are in deed faded from light blue.

Ian - loving the 4 Independent Company badge - so rare ...

Last edited by Mike B; 25-06-22 at 07:56 AM.
Old 25-06-22, 08:59 AM

this example of the special IV service title was recently posted for opinions on the net, I thought it looks fluffy but it seems to have the correct colours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg special iv service title front.jpg (42.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg special iv service title reverse.jpg (63.3 KB, 31 views)

Jerry
Old 25-06-22, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
this example of the special IV service title was recently posted for opinions on the net, I thought it looks fluffy but it seems to have the correct colours

It has the correct colours Jerry, but at first I thought it was a bit 'neat and tidy' at the back. We have to accept the existence of variants from the more often (but still rarely) found less neat stitching to reverse version. The stabilizer looks correct, and it has a lot going for it ... Like you, I would welcome further comments and thoughts. It is rare anyone would suggest they would be more comfortable with less neat stitching to the reverse - we almost always say the opposite - the badge has a lot going for it ...

Below - the variant I am more familiar with ...
Old 25-06-22, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
It has the correct colours Jerry, but at first I thought it was a bit 'neat and tidy' at the back. We have to accept the existence of variants from the more often (but still rarely) found less neat stitching to reverse version. The stabilizer looks correct, and it has a lot going for it ... Like you, I would welcome further comments and thoughts. It is rare anyone would suggest they would be more comfortable with less neat stitching to the reverse - we almost always say the opposite - the badge has a lot going for it ...

Below - the variant I am more familiar with ...
thanks for showing the back of the more commonly seen type, as you say a bit messy.

My interest in this is purely academic, as someone asked online and it piqued my interest.

As these are only produced for a very short period, I guess they would not be up to the standard of, for instance, paste back titles.

as you say, it does seem to match the colours needed, but the fluffy backing fabric on the front looks very like modern fakes and I am glad I am not looking to buy one.

Jerry
Old 25-06-22, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
thanks for showing the back of the more commonly seen type, as you say a bit messy.

My interest in this is purely academic, as someone asked online and it piqued my interest.

As these are only produced for a very short period, I guess they would not be up to the standard of, for instance, paste back titles.

as you say, it does seem to match the colours needed, but the fluffy backing fabric on the front looks very like modern fakes and I am glad I am not looking to buy one.
It is a minefield Jerry - research is a definite requirement ... and a long sometimes painful apprenticeship. I was luck to have good teachers decades ago - Len Whittaker among them. Still lots to learn, and fakers getting more and more devious / informed ...