British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-08-11, 08:42 AM
Former Member

Good morning Gentlemen,

I trust you all slept well and I hope for those in the UK, that you have an enjoyable Bank Holiday!

To continue from yesterday, the first two images show another of the badges shown at the start of this thread! Peter & David's "High Quality" Officers badge?

The second image clearly shows the rivet I mentioned above, it's not a sweat hole and is part of the overlay, this often comes loose and has Malcolm has observed, the one at the start of the thread has had glue (?) applied to stop it twisting....

The 3rd & 4th images show an "Officers" badge, Silver Plated and Gilt and with "LUGS".. The owner of this badge, obviously did NOT prefer a Slider?

Images 5 & 6 show and array of RNF ORs badges, mostly with longer sliders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001.jpg (71.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002.jpg (47.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1007.jpg (62.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1004.jpg (50.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1005.jpg (80.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1006.jpg (73.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 29-08-11, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I do not believe that two of this Forums self acclaimed experts are calling this an officers badge What a poor example to set for others!

The RNF badge is one which has been faked to death, as I have already stated, the better examples have quite long sliders, whereas the one shown at the start of this thread is typical of the copies, it cannot be seen from the image, however they often have the overlaid device attached by a "rivet" like device!

I will supply some images in the morning!

Here is a NF officers badge which does have a slider, you will see that it differs from the standard slider found on ORs badges.. The ONLY other slidered badges I've seen have been on Brigade era badges and Yorks Vols!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...liers+officers

Andy
Andy - Please stop using the word 'expert' - I for one find it highly offensive. As for the badge you are citing as an example, its slider has been clipped so is useless for comparison. I note also that you describe it as 'definitely genuine' - I suppose it would have to be, simply on your say-so. Please start giving 'opinions' not definitive statements - I believe it would make for more 'comfortable' debate and discussion. Just my personal opinion, of course ! David
Old 29-08-11, 08:50 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezarek View Post
I would like to buy a sign with pictures but I have doubts. Maybe someone expressing his opinion?
So in answer to Cezarek's initial post, in my opinion the badge shown is:

A BIG FAT FAKE!

Furthermore, the style of Font is incorrect, not a Makers variation but a Fakers error.. On all genuine RNF badges the Font is more like "Times New Roman" VOCANT on the Fakes it's similar to Ariel "VOCANT". 1st & 2nd images are of genuine badges, the 3rd FAKE!

Hope this helps!

Best regards

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1009.jpg (24.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1010.jpg (33.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1008.jpg (27.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 29-08-11, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Just my observations here,what is the substance below the torse and in between the horses legs?, has the white metal part been glued back on? also part of the Dragons tail is missing. good quality i dont think so,should have gone to spec savers lol

Malc
You may well be right about the glue residue below the torse which would suggest a repair, or it may be flashing. This badge has a totally different striking to the Birmingham Mint example previously cited and I know of no other reproductions of the post 1935 officers' silver and gilt badge. David
Old 29-08-11, 08:57 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
Andy - Please stop using the word 'expert' - I for one find it highly offensive. As for the badge you are citing as an example, its slider has been clipped so is useless for comparison. I note also that you describe it as 'definitely genuine' - I suppose it would have to be, simply on your say-so. Please start giving 'opinions' not definitive statements - I believe it would make for more 'comfortable' debate and discussion. Just my personal opinion, of course ! David
David,

I find your whole attitude "highly offensive" and the slider is not clipped, open your eyes and ears and listen to fact! The images quite clearly show what I have tried to explain, stop giving "Orders" and let others make up their own minds! I agree that my initial thought that it was a possible B'Ham Mint badge was wrong, but IMO I have supplied enough information to allow people to make up their own minds about the badge shown at the start of this thread.. I would stay well clear of any such example!

BANG, BANG, BANG!

Best regards

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (2).jpg (53.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 29-08-11 at 09:05 AM.
Old 29-08-11, 09:00 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Just to liven the debate up.

The finish on the badge in the opening image actually looks as though it may have come from a " Humbrol " tin.

I also have a box of sliders identical to the one shown which I purchased last year from a well known ebay supplier of sliders and loops ??

Significant ? I don't know but ???????

Dave.
Old 29-08-11, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
David,

I find your whole attitude "highly offensive" and the slider is not clipped, open your eyes and ears and listen to fact! The images quite clearly show what I have tried to explain, stop giving "Orders" and let others make up their own minds!

BANG, BANG, BANG!

Best regards

Andy
Andy - I now realise that I owe you a profound apology. I was entirely in the wrong to question your definitive judgement on this - or any other - badge. I promise not to do so again in the future. David PS How is Bank Holiday going on Mount Olympus ?
Old 29-08-11, 09:06 AM
Administrator

I'm surprised that badge gets the thumbs up. If you search for "northumberland fusiliers badge" on ebay you will find that is the type being sold by the re-strike/copy sellers.

There should be a cautionary warning at the very least.

The badge is distinctive by its sans-serif motto.

Originals below, one with the small JRGAUNT LONDON mark, note the serif motto.

Old 29-08-11, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posting at the same time Andy about the font. sorry didn't see it
Old 29-08-11, 09:08 AM
Banned

Mike - Are your examples shown as officers' or other ranks' patterns ? David
Old 29-08-11, 09:11 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
Andy - I now realise that I owe you a profound apology. I was entirely in the wrong to question your definitive judgement on this - or any other - badge. I promise not to do so again in the future. David PS How is Bank Holiday going on Mount Olympus ?
Why David "Thank You"!

As I have said in the past, stick to Buttons and Fairs! My apologies to other members, if I appear to give a "definitive judgement" but as is clear from this infantile reply from David, even when proven to be wrong!!!!! All he can do is resort to his usual causticness, I cannot wait until your next ban!

BANG, BANG, BANG!

Andy
Old 29-08-11, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Other ranks, purchased on their hats at Ian Robertson's Salerooms in Alnwick at least 30 years ago for a few bob.
Old 29-08-11, 09:17 AM
Banned

Thanks Mike - I asked because I believe there is some interface in discussion between a slidered officers' version (other than Birmingham Mint) and the robust nature of the other ranks' post 1935 badge. I suspect that some posts are confusing the two. David
Old 29-08-11, 09:20 AM
Former Member

David,
officers badges with sliders are not common! With a collection in excess of 10,000 cap badges I only have "3" confirmed officers badges that are slidered! So do the maths!

I'm still waiting to see the slidered RNF Officers badge you stated that they preferred?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (3).jpg (57.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002 (2).jpg (50.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 29-08-11 at 10:15 AM.
Old 29-08-11, 09:37 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Anyone want to buy a few slideres ?

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Specials..jpg (88.5 KB, 35 views)