British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-08-12, 03:07 AM

Default 7th Battalion CEF Officer vs Other Ranks

I am just wondering how to tell the difference between an officer's cap badge and one worn by the Other Ranks of this battalion. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Old 25-08-12, 07:38 PM

Hi Paul, there is one in one of my on-line albums in this forum. The one I have is the only one I'm confident is actually an officers badge. Mine is hand-made and finished with tangs.

Greg

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=16474
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=21516
Old 25-08-12, 07:53 PM

Default cap badge

I was wondering the same thing. My grandfather rose through the ranks to captain and the photos I have show him wearing the maple leaf with the
1st British Columbia on it. The earliest photo of him as a corporal in 1915 shows a cap badge that looks more like the general list maple leaf ,but it is really hard to tell. He did wear various collar badges though.
Donna

Last edited by donmar; 25-08-12 at 11:03 PM.
Old 25-08-12, 09:33 PM

Hi Paul and Greg,
My 7th Bn CEF badge is slidered. Is that the norm for this badge? Most Canadian badges I have are lugged or have tabs.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 25-08-12, 11:15 PM

Default re 7th Bn cap badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Paul and Greg,
My 7th Bn CEF badge is slidered. Is that the norm for this badge? Most Canadian badges I have are lugged or have tabs.
Cheers, Tinto
My 7th Bn badge has lugs and cotter pin; no makers mark.
Old 27-08-12, 09:57 PM

The 7th Bn wore the general list badge until about Oct/Nov 1915, then adopted the 7th (1st BC) cap badge, which we have the original casing in our museum (BC Regiment). The officers wore the same badge as the NCO's until about 1916 when the Gold colour/Gilt version came out. The officer collar's also changed at this time.

The badge was worn until 1930, then our current cap badge (minus South Africa Batle Honour) was produced.

Ron
Old 27-08-12, 11:47 PM

Hi all, to add to the discussion re differences in manufature of the 1st BC (7 CEF) badge, although I don't collect variations for this regiment; I have in my collection a brass/white metal with lugs by Hicks & Sons and a bronze/white metal with lugs by TipTaft. I have seen versions with sliders but don't have one in my collection. Over the years I've seen more lugged versions than sliders but that is not an indicator of rarity.

I know nothing of the collar badges, if anyone has a picture of the officers version, please post it, I'd love to see it.

Regards,

Greg
Old 28-08-12, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCOR View Post
The 7th Bn wore the general list badge until about Oct/Nov 1915, then adopted the 7th (1st BC) cap badge, which we have the original casing in our museum (BC Regiment). The officers wore the same badge as the NCO's until about 1916 when the Gold colour/Gilt version came out. The officer collar's also changed at this time.

The badge was worn until 1930, then our current cap badge (minus South Africa Batle Honour) was produced.

Ron
Ron- I knew I would find the answers if I came to this board. You have just sorted out a puzzle that I have been trying so figure out for some time. I have a couple of photos of my grandfather with no dates. He is wearing different badges in each one which confused me. Now if any one knows where I could find a pair of collar badges I would greatly apppreciate it. His went "missing" a few years ago( given away along with is medals by an uncle of mine)
Donna

Old 28-08-12, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Joe Harper's A Source of Pride indicates the pattern of officer's collars as illustrated above were an un-authorized pattern.
Old 28-08-12, 02:39 PM

Oh THOSE collars, I wish I could say I have a matching pair but only one that is superior quality. I have 2 others that I believe are post war, worn by the militia.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=21515

Greg
Old 28-08-12, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Scarce collars Greg. One looks like osd?
Old 28-08-12, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Scarce collars Greg. One looks like osd?
forgive my ignorance but what does osd mean?
Old 28-08-12, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Don, Welcome to the Forum.
Osd is a short form for officers' service dress uniform. The badges worn on that uniform were often darkened, finished in a dark brown or medium brown. Badges were specifically made for that order of dress.
Old 28-08-12, 11:34 PM

Joe Harper's book is wrong. We (BCR Museum/archives which perpetuates the 7th Bn) have dozens of pictures of 7th Bn officers wearing these collars from 1916 till the end of the war. There is an "un-authorized" pattern which is a bronze miniature version of the 7th cap badge.

RL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg un-authorized pattern.jpg (34.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 28-08-12, 11:57 PM

this is my grandfather- photo clearly shows the collar badge. Taken 1916

Last edited by donmar; 29-08-12 at 05:15 PM.