British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-08, 07:49 PM

Default Button Makers and their Backmarks.

An interesting find for those collecting military buttons (and badges). This website from the UK Detector Finds Database gives the names of major British makers and dates of manufacturing. Also included, are name changes (Co. to Co. Ltd, etc).
You will find some names like Dowler, Firmin, Gaunt, Jennens. Good also for badges, I guess.
Cheers
Jo
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/button-makers.html#anchora
Old 27-08-08, 08:43 PM
David Douglas

Default Button makers etc.

There is no doubt that our detector friends have created an informative site based upon their finds in the context of button backmarks. However, the task of cataloguing button backmarks is an enormous one which no-one has ever attempted. There are also many confusing and contradictory publications, none of which has addressed the issue adeqauately. And so, my colleague and I are devoting an entire chapter in our book on military buttons 1780-1959 to the question of backmarks, including illustrations and cross-referencing. It is the backmarks issue that is delaying the publication date in view of the vast amount of information to collate. Hopefully, the end product may be worthwhile - but it will not be perfect ! Perfection is the province of the Gods ! Regards. David
Old 03-09-08, 09:46 PM

Hi David,
Like many of the other members of this forum, I too am looking forward to your book on buttons. A comprehensive reference book on British military buttons would make a very welcome addition to my small militaria library.
It sounds as if you have almost finished the task, but are there any buttons or backmarks you still require pictures off or any other information for that matter? Button collecting is just a small interest for me but you never know, by some fluke I could have something you need a picture of.
Anyway, glad to help if I can.
Best wishes
Ian