British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-09, 11:43 PM

Default Royal Malta Militia to King's Own Malta Regiment

Having just replied to Malcolm in the Restrikes etc. Forum, I have a query of my own.
Attached are some of my Malta badges and I am interested in the change of pattern/naming.
Can anyone explain the evolution of these units?
Thanks, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malta trio.jpg (36.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 20-09-09, 06:14 PM

Default Potted history

Hi Tinto,
A very brief potted history;

King's Own Malta Rgt 1801-1972
1801 Rgt of Maltese Militia>1802 disbanded
1852 Maltese Militia>1857 disbanded
1889 Royal Malta Rgt of Militia>
1903 King's Own Royal Rgt of Malta>1921 disbanded
1931 King's Own Malta Rgt>1972 disbanded

Hope it helps to put them in order,
All the best,
Alan
Old 20-09-09, 07:17 PM

Hello Alan,
Thank you for the Malta information, much appreciated.
Tinto
Old 04-03-10, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Tinto,

The Malta Regt is a bit of an oddity because it was on the British TA orbat after WW2. After 1972 and Malta's independence it broke away completely. Whether it sits in the Colonial section or in the British army section is a debatable point.
Old 04-03-10, 07:36 PM

Thanks Alan.
My wife and I visited Malta a few years ago. Full of history, ancient and recent.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 04-03-10, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Can I ask is the last pattern regt badge's wm cross attached with 4 pins through the badge and folded over on the back?
Old 04-03-10, 08:39 PM

Mine is.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 04-03-10, 11:13 PM

Yes, all three badges pictured in the first post of this thread have the four pins attachment.
Tinto
Old 05-03-10, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

This is the very common copy. The back lacks these pins, is not as sharp and the centre of the ribbon bow is not voided. It is also lugged whereas the regt ones I have seen are slidered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KMORa.jpg (84.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 16-02-12, 10:44 PM
button_guru

Default KOMR badges, etc.

Being Maltese, I believe that I can be of some help on the subject:

The Royal Malta Regiment of Militia (1889-1902)
The first badge worn was a plate for the Foreign Service Helmet. The OR’s version (1/1) was bi-metal and the officers’ had a gilt cross with ribbed or lined branches and silver motto scroll, both with title ROYAL MALTA MILITIA. Oddly enough, the crown looks neither Imperial (flat topped) nor King’s (Tudor)!
The badge worn on side caps by ORs (1/2) bore the same title and has an Imperial crown. The officers’ was identical but of bullion, on red for the peaked cap and on black felt for the side cap.
ORs’ collars (as in 1/1) were all brass and officers’ a silver cross and gilt crown. Ironically, ORs shoulder titles were RMR (Royal Malta Regiment).

The King’s Own Malta Regiment of Militia (1902-1931)
After Queen Victoria’s demise, crowns were changed to King’s and the Regiment obtained Royal Patronage and changed designation. The pattern and material of the badges remained the same but now with the King’s crown and new title King’s Own Malta Regiment of Militia for ORs (1/3). An enamelled version for officers was introduced (not shown) but had Royal Malta Regiment as its title. Bronze OSD cap and collar badges were also introduced (not shown) of an identical pattern to the enamelled.
Collars (crosses) in King’s crown remained the same; all brass for ORs and bi-metal gilding for Officers. ORs’ wore brass KOMRM shoulder titles.

The King’s Own Malta Regiment (1931-1972)
The same pattern badges remained, with the ORs now having King’s Own Malta Regiment as the title (1/4). Officers’ badges also remained unchanged except for the title, in both OSD (2/1) and enamelled (not shown). However, this new badge had the colours of the Maltese flag at centre of badge now done in the proper way; red on the left of wearer. All previous badges had them reversed. A Bakelite badge (2/2) was introduced for Officers, Warrant Officers and Sergeants during WWII. Collar crossed remained as previous and the ORs’ brass shoulder titles became KOMR.
When Queen Elizabeth II ascended the throne in 1953, the KOMR’s badges didn’t change to Queen’s crown. ORs remained wearing the same K/C cap badge, collars and titles. Officers had the crowns on their badges changed by local jewellers, some even hallmarked (2/3 and 2/4). In the early 1960s, staybrite buttons and collars in Q/C were issued but not a badge, although I have seen one in Q/C but possibly from a ‘sealed pattern’.

Malta became independent in 1964 and the Maltese government became responsible for the KOMR which was Territorial and the Royal Malta Artillery. In 1970, these regiments and Maltese elements from the Royal Engineers and REMEs were styled the Malta Land Force, but the KOMR and RMA retained their badges and appointments. In 1972, all the individual units were permanently disbanded yet remained within the MLF and changing to the RMA badge and rank system. As the KOMR was a territorial unit, hardly any of its men joined the MLF. When Malta became a republic within the Commonwealth in 1974, the Royal crown was removed from all badges.

As to re-strikes and forgeries, I have been collecting for over 30 years and have my own opinion based on many badges handled. To begin, if the old dies are used, only metal and badge experts can catch a fake! However, I have one path that I follow; if the KOMR badge is not perforated with four holes for the wires that retain the cross, if the cross is soldered or glued or if the central points of the cross aren’t sharp points where they meet at centre, then I don’t bother with it. If a KOMRM or RMM cap badge has a slider, we all know that those badges had loops. However, I have seen locally made contemporary KOMRM cap badges that are cast brass but with the proper loops, cross and wires included, that were made at the Malta Dock Yard during WWI due to shortages. If an ORs RMM helmet plate is ALL BRASS, forget it. These were ordered in UK for local re-enactment along with collar crosses and General Service buttons in the very late 1990s. I know, I wore it! However, I stand to be corrected by those who may have written evidence stating otherwise.
Rgds,
Button_guru
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMM_KOMRM_KOMR.jpg (79.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 20-02-12, 03:08 PM

Yikes, it seems I have a fake one then... time to look out for the real deal.
Old 29-02-12, 03:35 PM

Default branchman

What is the difference of the badges? Do they relate to different periods or what?

Last edited by branchman; 01-03-12 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Re read button guru;s post and found what I wanted
Old 01-03-12, 08:46 AM

I reread button guru.s post and found what i want