British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-05-23, 02:46 PM

Default British Army Regiments whose forebears were Marines!

Hi there, Asking for advice. Does anyone know of a publication/resource or able to give me a list of all current British army regiments or previous regiments , since amalgamated or disbanded, that can trace their ancestry back to a time when they, or a battalion/company of them were raised as Marines before 1755, when the admiralty established it's own, permanent marine corps?

I'm looking at building a collection of cap badges, displayed as a family tree, to augment a Royal Marine collection.

Many thanks

Tony
Old 15-05-23, 04:24 PM

I am not sure you mean this.

In 1739/1740 what were ranked as the 44th - 53rd Regiments of Foot (remember that in fact they were not numbered, but used the name of their colonels) were raised. They were also ranked as the 1st - 10th Regiments of Marines.

All of them were disbanded (maybe better to say: dissolved in separate companies of marines) in 1748. Neither of them has any connection with later Regiments of Foot, or Infantry Regiments.

See details: Regiments of Marines.

Regiments that were Marines in part of their life (as far as I am aware of):

The later 4th Regiment of Foot (1703-1710 as The Queen's Own Regiment of Marines, Wiilliam Seymour's)

The later 30th Regiment of Foot (1702-1714 as Thomas Saunderson's > Thomas Pownall's > Charles Will's)

The later 31st Regiment of Foot (1702-1713 as Lord Villier's > Alexander Luttrell's > Joshua Churchill's > Sir Henry Goring's)

The later 32nd Regiment of Foot (1702-1714 as Edward Fox's > Jacob Bor's ).

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages

Last edited by Wmr-RHB; 15-05-23 at 05:55 PM.
Old 15-05-23, 05:48 PM

Many thanks Henk, that's exactly what I was looking for! I think there are a couple of others, The DERR I believe were at some marines and the rope circle around the dragon in the centre represents this, another current regiment has an anchor on it's regimental colours, but I can't remember which, so may or may not be one of those listed.

Regards

Tony
Old 15-05-23, 05:54 PM

It is possible that some have served as marines, without being officially named as such.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 15-05-23, 08:36 PM

managed to find this: Description of the components of the (then) new Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment cap badge. The Chinese dragon was surrounded by a gilt/gold double coil of naval rope (commemorating the service of the former regiments' service as marines, especially that of the 49th Regiment of Foot at the Battle of Copenhagen in 1801). This rope coil was surmounted by the ducal coronet of the regiment's Colonel-in-Chief in gilt/gold. On their regimental colour, they also have a naval crown! The regiment with the anchor on their colours I can't find (yet)

Regards

Tony
Old 15-05-23, 10:01 PM

Default DERR connection

From Wiki:

The senior partner in the amalgamated Wiltshire Regiment was the 62nd Regiment of Foot. The 62nd was formed in 1756, originally as the second battalion of the 4th Regiment of Foot. In 1758, the battalion was redesignated as the 62nd Regiment of Foot. Although a regiment of the line, many of its companies were initially deployed as marines, serving with Admiral Boscawen's fleet during the Siege of Louisbourg in 1758. The balance of the regiment remained in Ireland where they defended Castle Carrickfergus from a French invasion force in 1758.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 16-05-23 at 06:58 AM.
Old 15-05-23, 10:03 PM

Hi Tony, The link below mentions the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

and the 31st.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marines

best regards John
Old 16-05-23, 05:34 AM

Interesting, Cheers John, many thanks.

Tony
Old 16-05-23, 07:32 AM

Forebearers of the Devon and Dorset regiment served as marines. Hence the band wearing the marine style helmet rather than the blue cloth helmet.
Old 16-05-23, 10:01 AM

That's great, cheers Tim

Regards