British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-12-13, 01:25 PM

Default Eton button

Would any knowledgeable member be able to confirm or not whether the attached button is of a military nature?

Arms & motto of Eton College ('Floreat Etona'), surmounted by QVC and surrounded by a laurel wreath.
Silver mounted 20mm closed back; Greek frieze makers marking

(It is pertinent to mention that I have read that members of the Sixth Form Select wore silver buttons on waistcoats).

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EtonButton.jpg (54.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 13-12-13, 01:30 PM

This is from the E.J. Martin article in SAHR journal of Spring 1938. ( The words have been clipped in the attachment but the device on the button is a bugle and crown ).

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1833.jpg (45.5 KB, 33 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-12-13, 04:03 PM

Thanks, PB

My button has a very elaborate look. Could it be perhaps an officer issue?

GTB
Old 13-12-13, 04:32 PM

I would imagine in an institution like Eton, there would be a number of uniformed staff who might have worn the button.

Might be worth visiting their website to see if they have an achivist, and if they do send them an E mail.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-12-13, 04:36 PM

Just checked in Baileys Hunting Directory, they did have a pack of Beagles so the button might be associated with that.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1834.jpg (74.4 KB, 9 views)

Old 13-12-13, 06:41 PM

Thanks again for your output, Peter.

I have since delved into the history of Eton Cadets and am of the conclusion that this Victorian button is associated with the Eton Cadet Corps, instituted in 1860 as part of the then Volunteer Force. Formal title: Eton College Rifle Corps. I haven't come across a Victorian badge but during WW1 this was in wm. As speculated above, my design possibly officer version, or perhaps latterly the simpler bugle & crown button was superseded by this elaborate specimen. Will get there eventually!
GTB
Old 13-12-13, 08:44 PM

Hello,

Eton College Officers Training Corps did indeed use a crown and bugle horn device on silver plated buttons. Their cap badge was, I believe, broadly similar to the device on your button.

Some years ago in "Button Lines" (the Journal of the British Button Society), Howard Ripley wrote about and illustrated a gold anodised button of Eton College's Combined Cadet Force. This button was similar to yours in that it had a central device of a shield with Eton College arms and the motto "Floreat Etona" within a strap. However it had a Tudor (King's) crown and was without the laurel wreath. Incidentally, he went on to say that this button has been worn only since 1980 even though it has a Tudor crown!

In 1860 the Eton College Rifle Corps was founded but I have not seen a button attributed to this Corps. It is quite possible, therefore, that your button is indeed a Victorian button for the early Rifle Corps.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Roger
Old 14-12-13, 10:23 AM

Hi Gard

I think that Peter is right and that liveried staff in all probability wore/wear buttons with the school crest, possibly of the type shown. From some time in the 1860’s until merged with the county force in 1892 there was a two-man “Eton College Police”(PICA Magazine Winter 1981, 16); I’m positive I’ve seen a drawing of the helmet plate somewhere but am unable to locate it at present - I’ll post it when/if I do. They may well have worn the same buttons as other staff on their uniforms. Again, I agree with Peter, drop them a line - over 500 years somebody must have collected bits and pieces and, possibly, even catalogued them (M.R. James himself, perhaps?).

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-12-13, 12:57 PM

Thanks, Roger & Graham. This is the beauty of research and goes to make it all worthwhile when eventually everything falls into place.

I have seen a couple of photographs of the Eton RV Victorian uniform, both
with helmet and with kepis. The former displays Crown & Bugle buttons; the latter (earlier) unfortunately too indistinct to see detail.

GTB
Old 11-05-17, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I've come across a pair of these Eton buttons. 20mm and 15.2mm. Victorian crown, gilt, separate mounted design construction. Top quality but no maker's mark unfortunately.

Old 06-02-19, 06:48 PM

I bought this last week, it's brass/GM and doesn't appear to have been blackened, size 23mm, the paper label is deteriorating so I have removed it for safety.

Any idea who Mr William Stobart was?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eton1.jpg (42.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg eton2.jpg (40.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg eton3.jpg (53.1 KB, 8 views)