British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-17, 10:27 AM

Default Rhodesian epaulette slip ons

i have already posted this thread in the Other colonial badges forum but to no avail, so I am trying my luck here. herea are two recent acquisitions. Two epaulette slip ons badged to the Southern Rhodesian Armed forces in WWII. One is the quite commonly encountered 6th South African Division Slip on with a Rhodesia metal title (I wonder why should have Rhodesian worn the orange tab, though!) the second one has a green cloth tab embroidered with Rhodesia in white. I guess such a slip on should have Royal West African Frontier Forces connections? Or could the dark green backing of the officer pips could have a connection to the King's Royal Rifle Corps, since many Souther Rhodesian served with the KRRC in North Africa? Thank you in advance for your help, gents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epaulette_6th_SAAD_Rhodesia_B_1.jpg (71.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Epaulette_6th_SAAD_Rhodesia_B_2.jpg (72.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Rhodesia._1jpg.jpg (60.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Rhodesia._2.jpg (59.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-04-17, 01:55 PM

Both Rhodesian armour and sigs personnel were attached to the 6th SA Armoured Div in Italy. These Rhodesians were placed "Under Command" of SA forces for this campaign so wear SA uniforms and formation badges with Rhodesian cap badges and titles much the same way Rhodesian airmen were placed Under Command of the RAF in the UK and therefore wear national titles on RAF uniforms.

The green / white title on an epaulette was worn by a number of different Rhodesian army units during the war. There are also variants in black embroidered on red. Most were hand sewn by the individual soldier so there are often slight differences. There are also a number of variants of machine embroidered shoulder title (arch type). I have not yet had any exact confirmation as to which unit wore which type of title. Will post some images when I am at home at the computer!
Old 03-04-17, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Both Rhodesian armour and sigs personnel were attached to the 6th SA Armoured Div in Italy. These Rhodesians were placed "Under Command" of SA forces for this campaign so wear SA uniforms and formation badges with Rhodesian cap badges and titles much the same way Rhodesian airmen were placed Under Command of the RAF in the UK and therefore wear national titles on RAF uniforms.

The green / white title on an epaulette was worn by a number of different Rhodesian army units during the war. There are also variants in black embroidered on red. Most were hand sewn by the individual soldier so there are often slight differences. There are also a number of variants of machine embroidered shoulder title (arch type). I have not yet had any exact confirmation as to which unit wore which type of title. Will post some images when I am at home at the computer!
I knew I could rely on you! will be looking forward to your pics!
Old 03-04-17, 03:58 PM

I like your 6th SA Armoured Brigade particularly, very nice indeed, a number of Rhodesians, serving members of the Rhodesian forces, were, in effect, also members of the South African Army and actually had two service numbers, the South African one with the S.R. prefix.
Again, a lovely thing and certainly not getting any easier to find these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
i have already posted this thread in the Other colonial badges forum but to no avail, so I am trying my luck here. herea are two recent acquisitions. Two epaulette slip ons badged to the Southern Rhodesian Armed forces in WWII. One is the quite commonly encountered 6th South African Division Slip on with a Rhodesia metal title (I wonder why should have Rhodesian worn the orange tab, though!) the second one has a green cloth tab embroidered with Rhodesia in white. I guess such a slip on should have Royal West African Frontier Forces connections? Or could the dark green backing of the officer pips could have a connection to the King's Royal Rifle Corps, since many Souther Rhodesian served with the KRRC in North Africa? Thank you in advance for your help, gents!
Old 03-04-17, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I like your 6th SA Armoured Brigade particularly, very nice indeed, a number of Rhodesians, serving members of the Rhodesian forces, were, in effect, also members of the South African Army and actually had two service numbers, the South African one with the S.R. prefix.
Again, a lovely thing and certainly not getting any easier to find these days.
thank you Frank! here's a thread to some other 6th SAAD related Rhodesian insignia I have got in my collection: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=39646
Old 05-04-17, 08:34 AM

I have a small removable red tab with a Rhodesian title, came with a group of medals.
Old 05-04-17, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
I have a small removable red tab with a Rhodesian title, came with a group of medals.
a metal title or a cloth tab, Bryan?
Old 09-04-17, 06:11 PM

Belated post of Rhodesian titles.
Old 09-08-18, 10:44 AM

Default still another Rhodesia epaulette slip on

Rhodesia title affixed to a white/red tubular slip on: any meaning for the white/red backing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhodesia_Slip_On_1.jpg (93.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Rhodesia_Slip_On_2.jpg (70.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 17-08-18, 07:26 AM

Hopefully Madziro will be able to provide a meaning for the white/red tab?
Old 30-08-18, 02:21 PM

Greetings Gents

The red / white title slip ons were worn by the Southern Rhodesia Reconnaissance Regt. They are very nice and a good find. They also wore a cloth triangle left side red and right side white on the slouch hat. Both were worn in the 1940s including up to just after the end of WW 2.
Old 16-09-18, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Greetings Gents

The red / white title slip ons were worn by the Southern Rhodesia Reconnaissance Regt. They are very nice and a good find. They also wore a cloth triangle left side red and right side white on the slouch hat. Both were worn in the 1940s including up to just after the end of WW 2.

Thank you Madziro, I knew I could rely on your knowledge! As quite a lot of members of the Southern Rhodesian Reconnaissance Regt. subsequently served in A Squadron, Princess Alicia's Own Pretoria Regiment could the have worn this sort of slip on or rather the usual combination sign comprehending 6th SAAD yellow/green triangle and Rhodesia brass title?
Old 24-09-21, 10:32 AM

Just resurrecting this thread as I bought this Rhodesian slip on title recently. Not an exact match to those in Owen and was wondering if anyone had come across a similar piece before and in which context..?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhod1.jpg (23.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Rhod2.jpg (22.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Rhod3.jpg (20.3 KB, 3 views)