British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-05-17, 03:54 PM

Default 22ème St John's Battalion C.E.F

Hi there,

I have a question for you all. For the 22nd Bttn, CEF cap badge: in particular the smaller E-22-A version - is there any difference between a CEF one, and a later, WW2 and beyond examples?

i.e., can they be positively identified to a time period, or like say, British Royal Artillery, was there no real way to accurately date a badges over an extended period? (at least till the crown change in the 1950's)

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers, Tim
Old 06-05-17, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Tim,
There are a few clues that can be used to date the Van Doo's badge. (I am not sure about your title for the thread, St John's ?)
The CEF badges did not feature the battalion number, and subsequent research suggests the inclusion of the E22-A is an error in Babin. There are other detailed differences in the shape of the beaver that have been used to document the time frame. There is a lengthy entry in Brooker's new badge references.
Old 06-05-17, 05:34 PM

That's great, thanks Bill. The "St John's" was how the Bttn is described in Rosen and Martin's book. I take it that's also wrong?

Thanks for your help

Cheers, Tim
Old 06-05-17, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Tim, You are welcome.
I didn't realize they used that term. It is not correct. The 26th Bn was from New Brunswick, with Saint John being their primary city. St John's (note apostrophe) is the Newfoundland city, and at the time of the First WW, Newfoundland was not a province of Canada.

Last edited by Bill A; 06-05-17 at 07:55 PM. Reason: corrected name
Old 06-05-17, 06:33 PM

Just a quick note, Bill et al. the city in New Brunswick is Saint John (first part always spelled out in full, second part not possessive).
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 06-05-17, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ian. Not being a Maritimer... I beg indulgence...