British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-22, 08:18 PM

Default Unknown Items

Hi all,

I've picked up these bits and pieces around and I've not been to find out exactly what they are, would anyone be able to shed any light on any of these at all?

The mercury figure with the missing hand (and helmet wing?) I have no idea about. I thought he was potentially a foreign military badge because of the wire fittings on the back, but that's just a guess. He's about 5cm tall and 4cm wide.

The closest match to the bullion badge with the eagle and the coat of arms I've found is a Master Aircrew mess uniform badge, but I haven't found an exact match online. At about 7.5cm wide and 7cm tall it seems a bit too big for a mess uniform badge though, does anyone have any ideas?

The two bunting-like things I picked up in a box of assorted military bits, they've been fairly well made but I haven't the faintest idea what they were used for. The only possible clue is that they're the same colours as the Royal Signals Corps stable belt/tac flash. They're about 6.5cm wide and 12.5cm tall.

The Parachute Regiment-like patch I think was for a blazer, but the design of the badge is slightly different to the actual British Parachute Regiment badge. It looks like it has age too but it has to be post-1953 with the queens crown. Just a poorly made blazer badge that's had a hard life or is it something else?

Unlike the other badges I know what the SAS Wings badge are meant to be, but are they authentic? It's 7cm wide and 2.7cm tall.

The 'Defence Patrol' and the three yellow lines patch are fairly cheap and flimsy, but just out of interest I thought I'd include them here. The Defence Patrol badge is 5.5cm tall and 4cm wide and the other one is about 2x2cm.

The last badge I know is meant to be a Border Regiment collar badge but with it being so rough and a collar badge, I thought it was more likely to be an old sand-cast 'bazaar' copy badge rather than just a crude modern fake. What are people's thoughts on it? It's about 3x3cm.

Many thanks for your time on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown_Badge.jpg (63.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown_Badge_2.jpg (33.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown_3.jpg (49.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Parachute_Badge.jpg (49.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Parachute_Wings.jpg (19.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Defence_Patrol.jpg (48.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Border_Regiment_Collar.jpg (77.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 25-07-22, 08:26 PM

The two bunting type things are hose/sock tops.
Not liking the sas wing, looks fluffy

Jerry
Old 25-07-22, 11:25 PM

Last pictures are an example of collar badges for The Border Regiment ORs, 1906 onwards for a few years.

Regards.
Brian
Old 26-07-22, 04:09 AM

sas wing is fake
regards steve
Old 26-07-22, 07:15 AM

As Jerry says, the two bunting things are garter flashes. The colours do look like signals so maybe worn by members of one of the signals pipe-bands. These are the sort of things worn by all pipe bands in different colours.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 26-07-22, 09:21 AM

Garter flashes were also worn by Royal Signals troops in East Africa :

Quote:
Signals were recognised by a light blue, dark blue, green flash worn on the slouch hat and Royal Signals garter flashes on the khaki socks.
http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol125cl.html

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 26-07-22, 01:21 PM

They are indeed R Sigs Garter Flashes which were worn upto the early 70's by many Regiments & Corps in many Middle & Far East countries when in shorts simply to keep the khaki socks up! and as a unit identifier when no head dress was worn.

At times coloured Hose Tops (Footless socks) were also worn (the R Sigs examples being dark blue)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 26-07-22, 06:20 PM

Many thanks for your replies everyone, I didn't pay much for them so I'm not too disappointed about the SAS Wings and I'm glad that the Border Regiment collar is good too.

Really happy about the hose tops/garter flashes though, I had no idea at all what they were - thank you Jerry, Alex, Mike and Mike for helping me out with them - the article on the Royals Signals in East Africa was a good read too, thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas about any of the other things?