British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-05-22, 10:26 AM

Default R Marines plastic collar badges - opinions pls

Dear All,

I saw these on the internet and wanted to have a bit more info about them. Could you please help?

1st things first, I believe these things are original, and that no repro for plastic cap badges is around... Am I right?

2nd: my understanding of plastic badges is that it was exclusively produced during WW2, and maybe also used only in WW2. I understood theses badges were very unpopular. Was it so?

3rd (and last): could these badges pictured here have been (potentially...) worn during the battle of Normandy?

Thank you

Laurent

Old 30-05-22, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Laurent, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 30-05-22, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Yes they are original. About 15 years ago a crate of these was discovered and the market was flooded - you could literally buy them by the box load.
Lots were made but not many issued so loads survived.
They were supposed to be worn on best uniforms when on roles such as providing high profile guides - I think the RM guarded the cabinet war rooms for example.

To my knowledge they were not worn on battledress in active service so no they would not be worn in France.
Old 30-05-22, 02:18 PM

They went from about £50 a pair down to £5 a pair.

In answer to No2 ,plastic badges were made and used after WW2. Not in massive quantities though.
Post WW2 examples include KRRC qc and RRF of which theres a few variations .
Old 30-05-22, 02:59 PM

With regards to reproduction (i.e fake, copy, use whatever word you want!) WW2 plastic cap badges - yes they exist and have done for some years.

Some WW2 plastic badges sell for high prices and consequently are faked , be aware those selling them do not always describe them as copies...

Paul
Old 30-05-22, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

A Dutchman used to make them for the re-enacting community. He did the Paras, Signals and GSC amongst others. The backs were the give-away.
Old 28-06-22, 09:53 PM

They are original and I believe they were used until the early 1950s. Do not pay more than about £4 or £5 per pair at most since they are still readily available.