British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-22, 04:22 PM

Default 10th Battalion AIF - unofficial pin badge?

Hi
My grandfather had this badge, so I know it's an ANZAC badge but I haven't seen any more information about this particular badge. Has anyone else seen it before and have you got any more information about it?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th Infantry - unoffical pin.JPG (69.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 26-05-22, 09:46 PM

Hi

I think that this is a top bar for a patriotic association type brooch, usually linked to female family members. I have one that has "30th Infantry" but I can't recall for the present what the main part has on it.

I've also seen examples that have 3 or 4 of these bars, linked together (like a St John's medal for which "year bars" were issued to show that the holder was current) no doubt to show which units the wider family were serving with.

When I locate my example, I'll post a photo and maybe learn more about my own piece!
Old 26-05-22, 11:20 PM

Hi

Here is the badge that I spoke of in my most recent post. I see that it is for 27th Infantry (not 30th) but note that the bars are numbered to the reverse suggesting some type of semi-official status. Possible that your bar is similarly numbered? The main part of the badge is neither numbered nor maker-marked but is of an impressive size.

While Google will solve many of our problems, it might be nice to get a reply from an Australian member who can give some context to this group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lolwoa.JPG (28.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg lolwoa1.JPG (43.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 26-05-22, 11:21 PM

Yes, it is a top bar for a WW1 'Mothers of Australia' patriotic brooch to indicate the regiments in which their sons served. Mine has three different regimental bars, sorry no photo at present.
Old 27-05-22, 07:14 AM

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply to my query. I was intrigued that they should have actually numbered the bars and would like to know if this group was semi-official.

I can't think of many other similar badges that have a number so the League must have enjoyed some public recognition.

In the past, I've used the (previously) excellent Trove site to search for information but it has now become a lot less user friendly, or maybe it's just me....
Old 27-05-22, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I was intrigued that they should have actually numbered the bars
Could the number relate to the 'style' of the bar , one has a brooch pin and two lower 'rings' while the other has two upper 'rings' and one lower one ?

That would explain why your two , attached to the same badge , and for the same regiment. Why would there be different 'membership' numbers ?

Examples shown on diggerhistory show some different regiments/combinations.

Some info about the group :
https://adelaidia.history.sa.gov.au/...of-loyal-women

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LLWA.jpg (29.4 KB, 21 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 27-05-22, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Hi

I think that this is a top bar for a patriotic association type brooch, usually linked to female family members.
Thanks for the reply and photos. How interesting! I would never have guessed that and we don't have the main medal part.

I wonder if the soldiers were given them, to pass on to their mothers, or did the mothers who joined the League procure both parts of the badge themselves?
Old 28-05-22, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Could the number relate to the 'style' of the bar , one has a brooch pin and two lower 'rings' while the other has two upper 'rings' and one lower one ?

That would explain why your two , attached to the same badge , and for the same regiment. Why would there be different 'membership' numbers ?

Examples shown on diggerhistory show some different regiments/combinations.

Some info about the group :
https://adelaidia.history.sa.gov.au/...of-loyal-women

Thanks Mike. Could well be that you are correct. If we can find some pics of the reverse of these bars that might help us establish the practice regarding the "issue" of these.
Old 28-05-22, 12:33 AM

This quote from the Australian War Memorial Museum website:

May Reynell (nee Byard) who was the originator of the League of Loyal Women and the Battalion Clubs in South Australia.

The mention of Battalion Clubs could explain the different bars found with the badge.
Old 28-05-22, 12:54 AM

Default Those numbers on the back......

OK, I think we have the answer to those numbers on the back of the badge! I thought that they might have been numbers related to the League but then thought it possible that it might be a service number...and it WAS.

Attached are two snips that match the numbers from the back of the badge and they are 27th Btn.

I've not had a look in detail but it would appear that they are not related but may come from the same region.

It still suggests a level of hitherto unrecognised organisation as these numbers could only have been added to the bars prior to enameling as the process does not take kindly to impacts of any kind from the reverse.

I have examples to prove this!

As a footnote, see if the 10th Btn bar that started this thread is also numbered, although this may not have been a universal practice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 877aif.jpg (22.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 857aif.jpg (23.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 28-05-22, 02:19 AM

Just noticed that they have the same date of embarkation (31 May, 1915) same point of departure (Adelaide) and the same transport (Geelong A2)
Old 28-05-22, 06:01 AM

Quote:
OK, I think we have the answer to those numbers on the back of the badge! I thought that they might have been numbers related to the League but then thought it possible that it might be a service number...and it WAS.
I thought about that but it would be quite complex and expensive to have the numbers individually added.

Old 28-05-22, 07:26 AM

Hi Mike

Well, it's only a suggestion but the numbers do match with servicemen who were in the 27th Btn.

I've read both their files and neither really had what you might term an illustrious military career.

It's also hard to work out, from this distance in time, the lengths that people went to to support the "boys at the front".

Maybe someone else can provide another example of a numbered bar? I doubt that mine is unique.
Old 28-05-22, 08:09 AM

Hi Ray , you are probably correct as the LLWA was formed in Adelaide could have concentrated on 'local' soldiers.

If the badges and bars were produced in Adelaide it would be easier to have the bars individually numbered.

Edit : Spotted one example of badge with makers mark "C.Bentley".

https://adelaidia.history.sa.gov.au/...n%20volunteers.

The LLWA were still going strong in November 1918 , the members were organised for the arrival of the French General Pau.

Quote:
"White dresses to be worn , also the league badge and french colours"

Last edited by mike_vee; 28-05-22 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 28-05-22, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Maybe someone else can provide another example of a numbered bar? I doubt that mine is unique.
The number on the back of mine is 1068. This does not tally with my Grandfather's service number. Also, it doesn't appear to tally with the service number of any soldier in 10th Infantry Battalion.

Tags
anzac pin