British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-22, 08:48 AM

Default Hello.

Hi, sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I thought I should tell you why I registered. I recently bought a large coollectio of embroidered badges from the 30's to 60's that was the sample books of a London based badge maker. Amongst them are what look like army regiment emblems and other badges and I could really do with some help identifying them.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Ralph.
Old 28-03-22, 09:17 AM

If you intend to use the forum to identify the badges and then sell them on eBay or elsewhere you need to say so.

Dave.
Old 28-03-22, 01:48 PM

Great, can’t wait to see what you have found , and maybe help you with what they are.
Old 28-03-22, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Great, can’t wait to see what you have found , and maybe help you with what they are.
You dont need to wait, their are many on ebay already.

See here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165403418...wAAOSwSS1iP0zk

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 28-03-22, 02:42 PM

Cutting the pages out spoils the look of the book but removing the badges doesn't?
Old 28-03-22, 07:22 PM

It's more to do with the integrity of the page itself. Somebody has cut some out and it has somehow upset the spine. There were plenty already removed before I bought them. It's an amazing collection though. It's really enjoyable researching them.
Old 28-03-22, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Thank you, I would really have appreciated that.

All the best to you.

Ralph.
Old 28-03-22, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sheridan View Post
It's more to do with the integrity of the page itself. Somebody has cut some out and it has somehow upset the spine. There were plenty already removed before I bought them. It's an amazing collection though. It's really enjoyable researching them.
*was an amazing collection. Won’t be after it’s been butchered and sold individually like that.
Old 29-03-22, 04:24 AM

Destruction of history.
Old 29-03-22, 08:14 AM

Default Is this how we really want to welcome people?

Whilst I know what the rules of the forum are, and I know that over my modest time here there have been many who have sought to garner the wisdom of the forum to enhance the saleability of an item without being upfront about it, the majority of the posts above mine appear critical and near hostile.

We all know that collections get split up all of the time, and when museums seem to do it they get less of a tough deal than Ralph appears to be getting here - and I am utterly convinced that every collector has something in their collection that has come from a previously split collection /family group and so on.

It would be nice if you offered items here (in the 'for sale' section) before heading them off to eBay, particularly if members have helped establish what they are etc..

Just my $0.02 worth
Old 29-03-22, 09:36 AM

Default Well said

Wooffy well said !!!!

Ralph good luck with what ever you decide todo

3748Hussar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooffy View Post
Whilst I know what the rules of the forum are, and I know that over my modest time here there have been many who have sought to garner the wisdom of the forum to enhance the saleability of an item without being upfront about it, the majority of the posts above mine appear critical and near hostile.

We all know that collections get split up all of the time, and when museums seem to do it they get less of a tough deal than Ralph appears to be getting here - and I am utterly convinced that every collector has something in their collection that has come from a previously split collection /family group and so on.

It would be nice if you offered items here (in the 'for sale' section) before heading them off to eBay, particularly if members have helped establish what they are etc..

Just my $0.02 worth
Old 29-03-22, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
*was an amazing collection. Won’t be after it’s been butchered and sold individually like that.
Quite.
Old 29-03-22, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooffy View Post

Just my $0.02 worth
Thank you for your kind words Wooffy and 3748 Hussar. The negative opinions are naive in my opinion. "Collection" is a very loose term in this instance. It would only be a true collection if the buyer collected cloth badges across the board, a person I have yet to make contact with. What value do you put on it as whole? If I said 50p a badge that's nearly £3K, nobody is going to pay that. The books are samples books with a very varied theme. Schools,military, business, colleges, clubs and associations etc. There are some very valuable 'Individual' badges in the books and I have been contacted by many genuine collectors who care whole heartedly about their individual passion. Surely by selling them on to these people who care is saving the badges for the very best of reasons. There were originally six books and around 8,000 badges so somebody has already removed and sold well over a thousand which makes me feel fine about selling how I am. All about opinions though and thank you for yours.
I think the badge selling section on the forum is a good idea. people collecting any items is a great boost for social history. The general public of Britain have amassed a far greater collection than it's museums as I see it.

All the best..
Old 29-03-22, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The negative opinions are naive in my opinion.
Seriously take a hike mate.

Quote:
"Collection" is a very loose term in this instance.
The one part of your diatribe I agree with. It’s more than a collection. It is an historical record, an archive of what this company made and when. That is now going to be entirely lost.

Quote:
It would only be a true collection if the buyer collected cloth badges across the board, a person I have yet to make contact with. What value do you put on it as whole? If I said 50p a badge that's nearly £3K, nobody is going to pay that.
Well you bought it so I can only assume you didn’t pay that and are now ripping the a** out of it to just make money.

Quote:
I think the badge selling section on the forum is a good idea. people collecting any items is a great boost for social history. The general public of Britain have amassed a far greater collection than it's museums as I see it.
Did you offer it to a museums? People ripping things up to sell on eBay is probably why that’s the case. 99% of these will lose their context after they’re sold and change hands which will be a loss to social history as the wider context will be gone. Have you recorded what was in the catalogues for posterity, of course not.

Please don’t play the martyr card or pretend your doing anyone other than yourself a service here.

Wooffy - No. I have never broken up a collection with historical context. Certainly never a pattern book.

Last edited by Luke H; 29-03-22 at 11:09 AM.
Old 29-03-22, 11:48 AM

I'm a little intrigued that the seller claims (on his Ebay listings) that he "bought the books from a retiring antiques dealer"...these to me look identical to the five volumes sold by Bainbridges Autioneers in West Ruislip as lot number 178 in their sale held on the 10th March...just saying......

Paul