British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-13, 06:28 PM

Default Cleaning badges question

Hi

I've been running through threads about cleaning badges, and see there are several approaches regarding the best way to clean them (if at all )
I'm generally quite happy to leave my badges alone, but one or two have some verdi gris I think should be dealt with, and some old polish residue here and there I could live without.

Am I right in assuming that soap/washing up liquid, water and toothbrush is the safest way to go?
(If there's any danger of detriment, I will just leave well alone)
How about (baking) soda?
Will this mild cleaning also remove the natural patina?

Any advice or tips r most welcome

Thnx

Ubervamp
Old 01-04-13, 07:35 PM

Hi ubervamp,
when dealing with the badges you're talking about, I usually use toothpaste and toothbrush. It works fine.
All the best
Phil
Old 01-04-13, 09:01 PM

The most important aspect - whatever cleaning method you use - is thoroughly rinsing them afterwards.
Old 01-04-13, 09:43 PM
Peter J

Colin,

Here is a cleaning project I tackled a couple of years ago:

Before.jpgAfter.jpg

Admittedly it is a bit of an extreme case, but with the kind help of forum members, I was able to really give it a new lease of life

Peter.
Old 01-04-13, 10:20 PM

Peter:
It's amazing how that turned out! Just goes to show!!

In my case it's just a matter of a bit of polish residue and slight verdi gris.
Still not sure whether it's worth cleaning, especially if it means ruining the patina.

Colin
Old 01-04-13, 10:28 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Peter:
It's amazing how that turned out! Just goes to show!!

In my case it's just a matter of a bit of polish residue and slight verdi gris.
Still not sure whether it's worth cleaning, especially if it means ruining the patina.

Colin
In that case, Colin, have a look at this bit of badge-cleaning expertise by one of the masters :

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...light=cocktail

Cheers,

Peter
Old 02-04-13, 07:08 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Hi

I've been running through threads about cleaning badges, and see there are several approaches regarding the best way to clean them (if at all )
I'm generally quite happy to leave my badges alone, but one or two have some verdi gris I think should be dealt with, and some old polish residue here and there I could live without.

Am I right in assuming that soap/washing up liquid, water and toothbrush is the safest way to go?
(If there's any danger of detriment, I will just leave well alone)
How about (baking) soda?
Will this mild cleaning also remove the natural patina?

Any advice or tips r most welcome

Thnx

Ubervamp
Ref any badges with GILT (not gilding metal!): I used lemon juice and baking soda with hot (but not boiling....! - can be touched with the finger) water, old toothbrushes and cotton buds (even the modern rotating head version is ok). But you do need (as has been mentioned) to rinse very thoroughly. I also found that stubborn verdigris needed more than one application - rather than a "stronger mixture" i.e. multiple 'soakings' etc, rather then more lemon juice/baking soda. If the verdigris is solid/encrusted in any way, don't break the pieces off, soak the badge for afew hours or even overnight. Good luck.
Old 03-04-13, 06:22 PM

About a year ago I stumbled upon a household cleaning product called 'Hob Brite' - supposed to be used to clean ceramic cooker hobs. Essentially the only active ingredient in it is citric acid [lemon juice]. Can be used for deep clean or simply rub on and wash off to bring out the highlights on a badge. Quick, clean and very effective. An absolute godsend I promise you. Image attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG5150.jpg (44.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 03-04-13, 06:44 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Mascot View Post
About a year ago I stumbled upon a household cleaning product called 'Hob Brite' - supposed to be used to clean ceramic cooker hobs. Essentially the only active ingredient in it is citric acid [lemon juice]. Can be used for deep clean or simply rub on and wash off to bring out the highlights on a badge. Quick, clean and very effective. An absolute godsend I promise you. Image attached.
I have a bottle of ceramic hob cleaner, I'll check the ingredients and give it a whirl. Tks.
Old 03-04-13, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Mascot View Post
Cheaper to buy a bottle of Jiff Lemon!

'Hob Brite' COSHH Safety Sheet

http://www.pattersons.co.uk/files/pdfs/JG124006.pdf

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 04-04-13, 10:31 AM
Mr. Jackanory

I find sand blasting, wire wool and hydrochloric acid good ways of cleaning my badges. Not into also this gently gently nonsense, if they can't stand some real action they are not worth keeping in the collection.
Old 04-04-13, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
I find sand blasting, wire wool and hydrochloric acid good ways of cleaning my badges. Not into also this gently gently nonsense, if they can't stand some real action they are not worth keeping in the collection.
Wussy! Take a belt sander to 'em for that real 'gently worn' look
Old 04-04-13, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the sandblasting tip

Last edited by magpie; 28-09-13 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 06:52 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Magpie, those images make me think that those badges will clear up well with some fine shot and an hour or two in the acid tank. Heating enamel tends to burn off any blemishes
P.s. warning to all forum members, my above postings are meant to be humorous, make people smile and add a degree of levity to the forum. if you are stupid enough to do what I suggested I will not be help responsible for your moronic actions.
(you can never be too careful)
Old 04-04-13, 07:20 PM
Former Member

Matti,
my laywer will be in touch!

Stupid Moron in Wales!