British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-24, 01:46 PM

Default King Own Borderers

Recently found this badge in Norfolk and would like your thoughts on the horizontal loop fixings to the reverse. For some reason they look brighter in the photograph but are toned dark when viewed in the hand. A Makers variation or are they horizontally placed for a specific reason.

Regards, Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kob.jpg (106.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg kob 2.jpg (105.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 06-01-24, 03:40 PM

Good afternoon, Simon,

The horizontal loops are wrong, this badge was an Other Ranks Glengarry undress Pattern Cap Badge worn between 1874-1881, therefore the loops should have been vertical to enable the split pin to be inserted horizontally to hold the badge in place on the headdress.

However, there is one other feature of note on this cap badge, that I do not believe you have picked up on, 'The Lion is missing the Crown' this is a known Manufacturing error, this makes it a rare example from this period, the error which is transferred by the manufacturer to the next designed badge also, the first after the 1881 reforms removing regimental numbers from insignia, it is the 1884-1887 Blue Cloth Helmet Centre Piece illustrated in my book 'Badges and Insignia of the King's Own Scottish Borderers etc' Badge No 14 and your badge, is Badge No 40 in said book.

To sum-up there is no practical or logical reason for these loops on this badge to be horizontal, I have no reason to believe the badge is a restrike, more than likely a genuine error, may be someone who had a heavy night before work the next day.

Cheers
Hiram
Old 06-01-24, 03:58 PM

Hiram

Many thanks for that comprehensive answer, I have looked again at the loop fixings and whilst one looks slightly twisted the other is horizontal and appears to me to be original to the badge. When I get a chance and better light I will photograph the loops close up and add them to this thread.

Thanks again, Simon.
Old 07-01-24, 01:28 PM

Couple of close ups of the loops

Regards, Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kob 4.jpg (72.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg kob 6.jpg (91.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-01-24, 02:43 PM

Simon, Thanks for the close-up's photographs, one does appear slightly twisted as if someone has attempted to rectify it but decided it may cause it to break off.

I believe it is just one of these anomalies that pops up every now and then in the world of British military badge collecting.

There is no reason why it could not have been worn on the Glengarry in this fashion, the owner could, which was the trend in that period, use small real leather wedges, I have an officers Blue Cloth helmet, the outstanding Victorian gilded helmet plate with the regimental fully fretted in silver centre piece, secured to the helmet using that very fashion, nice period leather wedges.

You have picked up a nice genuine 25th of Foot 'The King's Own Borderers' Glengarry Badge, enjoy it.

Cheers
Hiram
Old 07-01-24, 02:51 PM

Hiram,

Many thanks for taking the time to look and comment, I will indeed enjoy this badge. the quality in hand is superb but I'm afraid it has probably started a need for more Victorian Badges in the collection.

Regards, Simon.
Old 09-01-24, 09:31 PM

Hi Simon,
You are welcome more than happy to assist.

I am also very fawned of Victorian Badges the quality and craftmanship is second to none.
Regards
Hiram