British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-08, 04:13 AM

Default Scanner Example

Hi Guys,

Here is an example of the sort of result you can get from a dedicated scanner using a TR era 1914 Iron Cross Second Class:

1. 400 DPI
2. 800 DPI
3. Top arm only 1200 DPI
4. Top arm only 2400 DPI
5. Top frame only 3600 DPI
6. Middle top frame only 4800 DPI

It will go up to 12800 DPI - See second post.

Scanner used was an Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO and cross was not moved at any time during all six scans.

If anyone would like copies of the original scans used here to see full potential then contact me on:

hagwalther AT gmail DOT com

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EKII 400 DPI101.jpg (52.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg EKII 800 DPI100.jpg (45.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg EKII 1200 DPI103.jpg (81.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg EKII 2400 DPI104.jpg (69.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg EKII 3200 DPI105.jpg (52.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg EKII 4800 DPI107.jpg (70.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-10-08, 04:18 AM

Hi Guys,

To follow on - large 12800 DPI scan of ribbon suspension ring area.

This should be big enough for anything.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EKII 12800 DPI108.jpg (53.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-10-08, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Chris, How did you get around the depth of field issue? I have tried this with my scanner, and only some parts are in focus.
Old 06-10-08, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Chris, How did you get around the depth of field issue? I have tried this with my scanner, and only some parts are in focus.
Hi Bill,

It's probably because your scanner is not a dedicated scan only unit and I would guess that it has no depth of field at all past that of a sheet of paper.

I also have a 'three in one' item that is only good for scanning paperwork and has no depth of field and cannot be used for scanning badges and the like.

What you need to do is look at some dedicated (scanner only) units like my Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO which has a depth of field adequate for scanning of badges and the like. I believe they were made this way so that thick books could be scanned at the hinge area where the text 'falls away' due to curving of the paper here.

This thing is though, is that scanner makers have yet to wake up to using their scanners like this and do not sell them as such so Joe Public has no idea if a particular scanner has enough depth of field to do the job. However, most EPSON units even old ones are more than adequate but do some tests first.

If you look at many nature articles many of the images of leaves, flowers etc are now taken by scanners. I have even seen coral examples which look pretty good too.

I have attached some scans of a Type 1 S-Boot badge as it is a heavily vaulted badge but one can see all parts are in focus. As such, I would guess that most badges except those with very long lugs would be captured OK.

Regards

Chris
Old 06-10-08, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Chris. My scanner is a dedicated scanner, but it just can not handle anything with more than 1/8 inch depth.
Old 06-10-08, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Thanks Chris. My scanner is a dedicated scanner, but it just can not handle anything with more than 1/8 inch depth.

That's a shame. Nothing that the operator can do Bill, it's just the way they come I suppose.

Might be worth updating at some stage.

Regards

Chris
Old 06-10-08, 10:15 PM

You guys ever thought of a camera?

G
Old 06-10-08, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, Yes I have both a camera and a scanner. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. And, it appears that the camera will be the device of choice for metal badge imaging.
Old 06-10-08, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
You guys ever thought of a camera?

G
Hi Greg,

Cameras have their good points but are not consistent in their results due to variable natural lighting and when used with flash they wash out many of the attributes of the image that are trying to be captured.

Used with a portable lighting studio consistent results can be obtained but there is a certain amount of skill involved and set up time.

They do though allow angle shots where scanners do not.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-10-08, 01:47 PM

Default Scanned Images

I TOTALLY agree with the above comments on scanning badges. Most, if not all of the images I have submitted to this site (CEF/KC Badges) were done on my Epson Perfection PHOTO scanner. I think my model is the 4480 (I'll check when I get home tonight). I find that the scanner does a very good consistent job on badge images, the only problem that comes up is when I get rushed and do not pay attention to the process. If you want good, high quality images - consider the Epson Perfection PHOTO scanner

Larry
Old 07-10-08, 03:11 PM

Hi Larry, Chris and Bill, I think I'll put together a basic primer on badge photography. I'm not sure When I can get this done but it might help the forum.

G
Old 07-10-08, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
Hi Larry, Chris and Bill, I think I'll put together a basic primer on badge photography. I'm not sure When I can get this done but it might help the forum.

G
Hi Greg,

That would be first class and would raise standards which is always a good thing.

Regards

Chris

Tags
images, scans