British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-08-08, 12:04 AM

Default Crowns On Badges

Hi Guys,

While the question is easy to ask I suspect that the corresponding answer(s) will not be.

Why do some cap badges have crowns within their design while others do not?

As I'm doing some work into the design of anodised aluminium cap badges, I find that it is a question that I need to raise.

Many Thanks

Chris
Old 29-08-08, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

There is no logical reason for this. However some regts changed their badge to add a crown when they were granted the 'Royal' title (such as the Hampshires) but others such as the Leicestershires did not! No hard and fast rules here. The Int Corps has a crown but is no 'Royal' and the CMP later RMP always had a crown! The Para Regt have always had a crown but were raised in 1940 and have never been 'Royal'.

My advice leave it well alone as there is no rhyme or reason for it.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 29-08-08 at 12:05 PM.
Old 29-08-08, 08:49 AM

Thanks Alan,

I'll take your advice.

The best that I could come up with was that some had their roots in Royal (King Charles) units and others in Cromwells New Model Army from the English Civil War.

Regards

Chris
Old 29-08-08, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

The oldest regiment is the Royal Scots who were raised in 1633 by Charles 1- but they have no crown! Very few of the regts are able to trace their origins anywhere near that far back. A few were raised after the civil war when the first standing army was established but most were raised much later. All the yeomanry date from the Napoleonic wars or later.

Alan