British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-20, 06:13 PM

Default Good or Bad - Badges?

I am wanting to find out if these badges, most of which I obtained a good 20 years ago are any good. The faks I plan to give to a friend who is not an avid collector but just likes the look of military things in his study. I'll keep or sell the others, although they are probably all pretty basic badges. I do have a feel of a few that are bad, but will see what you all think.

Thanks,

Terry

Old 17-05-20, 09:17 PM

Hi Terry

I can’t comment on the others but I used to collect Military Police insignia and I would be happy with both those you show (from the photographs anyway). In case you aren’t aware the right-hand badge was manufactured in Germany post-WWII hence the reason the laurel leaves look like ears of wheat - a nice and rather scarce variation on the standard badge to the left.

Hope this helps

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 17-05-20, 10:46 PM

Sincere thanks Graham! I don't even remember when or where I got them it's been so long. I was trying to put together all of the cap badges associated with the British Airborne during the late war period.

Can you tell me what makes the left hand MP badge unique?

I plan to keep any that I can use in my British Home Front collection, but am happy to let the others go if they are genuine. I need to do some research before I know which I'll keep though.

Again, sincere thanks!

Terry
Old 18-05-20, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Can you tell me what makes the left hand MP badge unique?
Hi Terry

Sorry for any confusion, the left-hand badge is a standard CMP cap badge - I have identical worn by my uncle in WWII - it is the right-hand badge made in Germany which is the scarce variation (at least, I only saw one in the years when I collected CMP).

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 18-05-20, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the clarification Graham! As I said, I got all but two of these about 20 years ago. My only connection for keeping any of them is if they were associated with the ATS or Home Guard. I am especially interested to find out if the two Signal badges are good as I know the ATS wore than one.

There are 3 of them that I feel pretty sure are fakes, but want to see if others agree. I sure wish some more folks would comment!

Thanks again,

Terry
Old 18-05-20, 09:53 PM

Come on guys, please help me out here. If I have posted this on the wrong thread let me know and I'll repost it. I am probably going to sell most of these, but do not want to sell fakes, and I am NOT a dealer - just a collector. I am only interested in keeping those that can be associated with the Home Guard, or the ATS, as these are the areas I collect - so the signals for sure.

I also have no idea what any these badges are worth so am also open to offers, so I don't have to do a lot of research to determine current pricing comparisons. I figure most of these are just basic badges anyway.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 18-05-20, 10:11 PM

Default Right and Wrong IMO

Well most of these badges are by no means scarce, I think all OK apart from the Two Home Guard badges and possibly the RECCE.

Others may not agree.

Rob
Old 19-05-20, 05:48 AM

All appear fine, Chacal would know a price on the Military Police badge?
The makers marked Home Guard I couldn't give an idea on price or if this was indeed made by this Firm, but looks O/K, the Isle of Man rear shot looks iffy but could just be lighting, better seen in the hand!
Think you're fine as you will probably be keeping the Home Guard, and others worth between £5 - £12 ish!
All the best billy
Old 19-05-20, 02:39 PM

Thank you gentlemen!!! I very much appreciate he info. I was thinking the RAC, Radnor and IoM badges were fakes, but was not sure about the others.

I am delighted to hear the Signals badges are good as I will add them to my ATS frame.

No thoughts on the others yet, but if I do decide to sell them I could be happy with 5 GBP each, except for the unique RMP badge.

Thank you again, a very big help!!!

Terry
Old 19-05-20, 04:30 PM

Can anyone give tips for viewing photobucket images- clicking on them for enlargement? Not supported now for IE so tried via edge- photo bucket banner flashes into view then page goes blank. Regards, Paul.
Old 19-05-20, 04:37 PM

Chrome takes you to Photobucket but not to the photo

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 19-05-20, 07:13 PM

I'm having the same problem, photo bucket is opening a black screen.

I haven't seen or heard of the Military Police variation before but as a collector of Military Police badges I'd be interested in it as I don't have one.

Michael