British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-10, 01:11 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default ID Uniform Insignia

Nfld..jpgCan anyone tell me anything about this picture, What the patches are or just anything at all informative. It is of the Newfoundland Regiment WW2 I believe.
Old 13-03-10, 01:32 PM

Default Newfoundland Badge

No, it is a Canadian Sergeant serving in Newfoundland during the Second World War. I would have to go and pull my copy of the Service Publication "Distinguishing Patches" in order to find out more about the 'Newfoundland' patch.
Old 13-03-10, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty good explanation on page 45 of Distinguishing Patches.
Old 13-03-10, 03:10 PM

Thanks Ed , I didn't think the NFLD Regt wore the caribou. I thought that may be a Canada title on his shoulder.A fellow from Edmonton sent me this photp & wanted to know if it was from the NFLD Regt.. While I'm on here is a scan of the FS cap he sent me . He got it from a museum in St John's. The Regimental colours are garnet & blue.

PS. I had to edit this reply because I didn't read your answer properly.
I don't have that book Bill. ( I don't collect Canadian patches)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CFSC.Nfld.Reg.off.jpg (88.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by boots and saddles; 13-03-10 at 03:54 PM.
Old 13-03-10, 04:04 PM

Default Pay Corps

The shoulder flash looks like it may be Pay or Postal Corps.

Without looking on the Service Publications website, I believe Distinguishing Patches is in the $30.00 range and is excellent value for money as not only does it cover Canadian patches, but as well, British and US patches worn by Canadians.

As for the coloured Field Service Cap, I don't know off the top of my head if the badge is right for the cap and I would probably have to pull two or three sources in order to check it out.
Old 13-03-10, 06:30 PM

The Newfoundland cap is not listed in Canadian orders. This cap scan came from the museum ( The Rooms) in St Johns, I took the picture first & sent it to my friend who does research on them, he then got in touch with the people there & are now coresponding back & forth. he is quite enthused.
Old 13-03-10, 07:48 PM

Default Badge and FS Cap

I supect the badge and FS cap are pre-1949, in which case I doubt that Newfoundland insignia and dress regulations would show up in Canadian orders or regulations as they were not part of Canada at that time. If the badge and FS cap are post-1949, then this is an interesting item as I believe that FS cap useage by the Canadian Army came to an end around 1945.
Old 13-03-10, 10:19 PM

I'm not sure when the Newfoundland Regiment was disbanded but the usual routine with Newfoundland military or Militia was to get rid of it soon as possible, so it would be shortly after 45. Thanks Ed for that response.
Old 14-03-10, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
I supect the badge and FS cap are pre-1949, in which case I doubt that Newfoundland insignia and dress regulations would show up in Canadian orders or regulations as they were not part of Canada at that time. If the badge and FS cap are post-1949, then this is an interesting item as I believe that FS cap useage by the Canadian Army came to an end around 1945.
The Coloured Field Service Cap is still an authorized headdress in the CF and may be worn in any instance where an authorized headdress is not indicated. In other words, if a bearskin cap, Wollesley helmet, busby, feather bonnet, beret or Service Dress cap (forage cap) is the authorized headdress for wear with any given order of dress then that is the headdress that must be worn. However, in the absence of any direction the CFSC may be taken into wear. In effect this means that the CFSC is worn with Mess Dress by those regiments who wish to authorize it. Of course, the CFSC is authorized in Dress Instructions for Rifle Regiments for wear with several orders of dress. The CFSC can still be purchased in regimental Kit shops , including that of The RCR.
Old 14-03-10, 01:28 AM

Default CFSC

Other than RMC and perhaps the QOR, you will be pretty hard pressed to find anyone wearing the CFSC these days. Even thought the CFSC may still be on the books, you will have to admit that it has fallen from favour as a form of headdress since 1945.
Old 19-03-10, 06:35 PM

The CFS cap can be obtained in Regimental colours from a business in Thunder Bay called Penny's of Thunder Bay. Their email is info@pennys.ca & their web site is www.penny's.ca, any Regiment you care to order.