British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-19, 09:57 AM

Default Displaying/storing badges

Hi,

Does anyone know of any nifty display or storage devices you can purchase, for cap badges. At the moment they’re all stuck in a box in bags and bubble wrap.

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old 16-11-19, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

I put mine on A4 thin card in plastic sleeves in A4 binders. Easy to catalogue and view and store.
Old 17-11-19, 10:21 PM

Thanks Alan, I’ll have a look at doing the same
Old 18-11-19, 06:44 AM

Default STORAGE & DISPLAY

I use a "Really Useful Storage Box" 9ltr size which holds 4 trays, each has 15 compartments so a total of 60 cap badges can be stored. This does restrict you to around 65mm x 60mm approx. each item although the tray can be "modified" It can be a bit expensive if you need a lot of boxes. I have around 70 of these boxes brought over a period of several years.
For cloth items like shoulder titles TRF's etc I use the card and sleeve method.

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 18-11-19, 07:42 AM

I used to use wooden paste tables for storage.
Unbolt and remove the folding legs then woodstain and varnish the tables, insert a large piece of cardboard into what is now in effect two one inch deep frames joined together with hinges.
Cover the card with white wallpaper, then with Hessian, the loose weave of the Hessian allows you to mount badges and relocate them around the card without leaving cuts in the material.
The "frames" fold shut, have a metal catch to keep them closed and a handle on top.
A handy method of storage and display but a bit cumbersome and heavy.

I never got around to using "Riker"-type flock covered compartmented trays though I quite fancied giving them a go, some are glazed, some stackable

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 18-11-19 at 07:48 AM.
Old 18-11-19, 08:21 AM

I keep my collection of badges on A4 card, too, with the said cards placed inside Jiffy bags, which are then further contained in box files - I get the files from Pound Land and the card from either B&M or our local Coleman’s stationary shop.

Rather like, Alan, I do this for the purposes of accessibility and naturally the frequent rearranging of the card content; that is, until such a day I am content with representative badges of a pattern, type and variations of such to each of the six regiments I collect to. I’ll hasten to add: which is a very unlikely prospect for some years to come.

This is my somewhat unceremonious assembly of the six patterns (plus types and variations of a patt.) concerning the ORs Indian made, 25th Dragoons badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B86FADB7-386C-4539-87C7-55AC2D0A3900.jpg (81.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 18-11-19, 09:52 AM

I keep all my badges on A4 size light board, put them in a suspension file and put them into a filing cabinet with a sheet of bubble rap in front of the badges, you can then wright on the tab inserts what is in the file.
Regards Terry
Old 18-11-19, 03:45 PM

Default Displaying badges

I have tried and used most methods, here are a few examples:

Riker box last on first row. Expensive but easy to re-arrange with glazed tops/fronts.

I also use A3 albums for cloth badges mounted on black card in A3 plastic sleeves as in 4th from left in second row.

Also A2 mounting card as last on second row.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 18-11-19 at 05:02 PM.
Old 18-11-19, 04:55 PM

CANTON DEC 17 011.jpg

20190920_150737.jpgHow i like to do mine. Box frame from the Range. Frame painted with model paint. Coloured felt glued to back board. Doing a RM one at the mo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wfr frame 001.jpg (29.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg mercian 3 076.jpg (30.6 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Restrikes-ok; 18-11-19 at 05:01 PM.

Tags
display, storage