British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-13, 02:51 AM

Default Button No 125

Dear Rex,
I tried to enlarge my scan but button no 125 won't show up because it is black oxidised. It is a quite rare 1901-03 period Queensland button with Edward V11 cypher. It became obsolete in 1903 when the Australian army was formed and button no 130 was worn right around Australia in brass and WM.
I will take another scan of the button when I dig out the two badges and scan all three.
Did your card have anything on it at all or was it blank? It did not seem to matter to Gaunts exactly which badge or button they included because they were only interested in the size and the quality.
Old 08-04-13, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Kingsley.

Still on the card are the four buttons on the left, nos. 120-124, and all five on the right, nos. 126-130. In the middle, no. 132, the 37th Lancers shoulder title, is present also.

Do you have Cossum's 'Buttons of the Defence Forces in Australia'? If so, which one of the four on page 22 is it, or is in none of these? Cossum does not list a black version of any, so yours must be pretty scarce, as you say.

Rex
Old 09-04-13, 09:54 AM

Default Ed V11 Black button

Hi Rex,
The button is the one on the bottom right of page 22 in Cossum's button book, the button with the garter buckle. In the book he does not mention a black button or Gaunt as a maker at all, only Hobson London. I don't think anyone can ever be sure of all the different makers for a particular button, even the common map of Australia ones.
I like the early Australian buttons and for years have been looking for the "1/NSW" (the first button in the book), also a NSW Lancer button on the second page.
Haven't had time yet to do the three scans.
Old 09-04-13, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Hi all, I am not quite sure if this is relevant, but I have a couple of interesting Gaunt advertising items. The main one is a huge 1908 fully illustrated catalogue which I believe was used by salesmen to show the different types of badges, buttons, bullion and edged weapons the company could make. It shows the varying quality and prices and it also has pages of "old and curious" badges and buttons. They really ARE old and curious! If anyone is interested I can make a few scans, unless the book is a well known resource (it's the only one I have ever seen).

Hello Kingsley is this the book?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=898
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=896
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=891
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=885

Do you have the separate price list?

Regards
Rob
Old 10-04-13, 08:20 AM

Hi Kingsley,
Thanks again. Since buying the sample card, I had expected the identity of the missing items to remain unknown forever; a real bonus to have the information now.
Can't help with the two buttons you are looking for, sorry.
Rex
Old 10-04-13, 12:55 PM

Default Gaunt Catalogue

Dear Rob,
Mt book is definitely the one you illustrate. It is the first time i have ever seen the first two pages because when I got it it had been used to keep the weather out of a broken window and the cover and first few pages had rotted off. It does include the price list at the back, originally bound backwards so that you could fold the price page on top of the badge page. It was so badly damaged that I had it all re-bound with a hard cover years ago.
Old 17-04-13, 08:09 AM

Default Complete Gaunt Sample Card

Rex,
Here is the complete Gaunt sample card, back together after about 40 years.
The oxidised button is the best I can do but it has "Queensland" around the top of the circle and Ed V11 cypher. The enamelled 3rd Kennedy Inf is the only one I have ever seen, very rare.
Kingsley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GauntCardFull.jpg (81.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg QldButtonOxy.jpg (71.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 17-04-13, 10:48 AM

Kingsley,
Many thanks, will print the pics, and keep with my sample card.
You have gone to a lot of trouble, much appreciated.
Regards,
Rex
Old 12-05-13, 10:29 AM

Default gaunt

There is a KDG 'star' badge on ebay...slider marked Gaunt Bham.....£5 post free!!
Either a bargain or?
Old 12-05-13, 10:41 AM
Former Member

If it has a B'Ham mark then it is proabably a 1970's reproduction and only worth a fiver "Max"!

Andy
Old 12-05-13, 10:46 AM

Default gaunt

A pre-1938 it ain't!
Old 12-05-13, 11:05 AM

Default gaunt

And another the same just turned up but this one is £8.
Old 12-05-13, 03:04 PM

Gaunt moved their entire business to Birmingham in the early 1960s and yes there are genuine badges marked Birmingham, metal and AA.
Old 12-05-13, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ticker' Riley View Post
As we’ve seen a few postings about J. R. Gaunt lately I thought Forum members might find the following advertisements of interest. I happened across them whilst flicking through a volume of the Army and Navy Gazette for 1918 recently:

The first one appears in a number of issues from April right through to October 1918, but the other only in December 1918 (probably also after that, but I didn’t have time to look at the volume for 1919). Although the two ads are essentially the same, the wording in the second is slightly different and the address has also changed. Another cracking advert is the following from Peck’s Circular Trades Directory and Detailed Byers’ Guide to the Manufactures of Birmingham and District ... for 1896-7:

As well has having a nice little depiction of the Firm’s works, the ad lists the array of different badges, buttons, fittings, clasps, etc. that the Company made at that time. Intriguingly it gives them as having been “Established 1860”, and also as being the “Successors to David Faris” – what the significance of this is I do not know, as I have yet to do much research into Gaunts and their history. If anyone else knows of any Gaunt advertisements then I’d be glad to hear about them, and if I find any more I’ll be sure to put them up here.

Regards

Martin
like the gwr title in one advert, we often see titles drilled that way, so now we know that some maybe railway. thanks
Old 12-05-13, 04:23 PM
Former Member

Julian,
yes there are genuine A/A badges marked Gaunt B'ham, but I doubt there are many (if any) official issued non anodised OR's badges? 1960 would have seen very few "metal" badges still being issued?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 12-05-13 at 04:48 PM.

Tags
badge makers, gaunt, j r gaunt