British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-19, 03:31 PM

Default RAF Clothing Regulations

Can anyone tell me if the RAF have ever had published Clothing Regulations for their Airmen similar to those issued to the Army which lay down scales of clothing to be issued to Other Ranks and the description of the items themselves. I'm particularly interested in those before the 1950s if they exist.

Any guidance appreciated.

Jon
Old 27-04-19, 09:05 PM

Until about 1972 Dress Regulations for the RAF contained info for Officers only. Scales of clothing were contained in Stores Air Publications and in Air Ministry Orders. So without knowing the exact AMO or AP number it will be very difficult. You could ask the Research Department of the RAF Museum to see if they can help. For some reason AP830 seems to ring a bell.
Dave

Last edited by dragon166; 28-04-19 at 12:34 PM.
Old 28-04-19, 01:18 PM

Dave,

Thank you. Much as I suspected. I have found a great deal in Air Ministry Orders but will see if I can find an AP reference.

Jon
Old 28-04-19, 07:15 PM

AP 1358 is the current one.

AP 1358 (6th Edition)
NOTES FOR USERS
1. This manual supersedes AP 1358 (5th edition). All policy letters issued up to and including 30 Sep 04 have been incorporated.
2. Further changes to the Royal Air Force Dress Regulations will be notified by amendments issued bi-annually or earlier if required.
3. The wearing of military uniform by unauthorised persons is an indictable offence under the Uniforms Act 1894. Offenders are liable to arrest when intending to deceive by purporting to be a military person.
CONTENTS
Chapter
1 General Instructions on Uniform Dress and Appearance
2 Royal Air Force Orders of Dress (Male personnel)
3 Royal Air Force Orders of Dress (Female personnel)
4 PMRAFNS Orders of Dress
5 Physical Education Branch Orders of Dress
6 Aircrew (Male and Female) Orders of Dress
7 Distinguishing Insignia
8 Orders, Decorations and Medals
9 Wearing of Aiguillettes, Swords, Ceremonial Belts, White Gloves and Webbing
10 Guide to Correct Order of Dress when Attending Functions or Participating in Ceremonial Events

Marc
Old 29-04-19, 03:09 PM

AP 1358 is Dress Regulations of the RAF. Jon was after the scaling of kit and their descriptions, which are not in Dress Regs. They were contained in Stores APs.
Old 29-04-19, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Can anyone tell me if the RAF have ever had published Clothing Regulations for their Airmen similar to those issued to the Army which lay down scales of clothing to be issued to Other Ranks and the description of the items themselves. I'm particularly interested in those before the 1950s if they exist.

Any guidance appreciated.

Jon
and while you are at it I could do with any scrap of info. re Good conduct badges from the year dot until/if they were officially phased out.
One thing I did notice in my long service with [not in] the RAF was the wearing of marksman badges on the right forearm, not the left.